VMware Cloud Community
dark76000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Netxen 10G Ethernet VM in 1G

Hello,

I installed vmware esx 3.5 with an NetXen 10G Ethernet card on an HP DL 3360 G5.

My card is detected on my esx with the good driver (unm_nic). The problem is when i installed a VM with Windows Server 2003, the card is detected in 1GB. I did host Updates and Virtual Machine Updates.

Excuse for my english but I'm french.

Thanks you for your help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RenaudL
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The virtual nics of the guest OSs will always appear to be 1G nics.

Don't worry though, this doesn't influence the maximum speed you are able to reach at all: this is only an hint and in no way indicates the speed of the underlying ESX pnics plugged in the server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Did you install the vmware tools?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
dark76000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes, I installed vmware tools and i updated with the Update Manager

0 Kudos
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Verify that the VM is attached to the vswitch (e.g. vswitch1) that's matched with the Netxen 10G card as compared to the HP's imbeddedd 1GB nic (vswitch0) .

dark76000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I verified and it's good.

Is there something to configure to enable the 10GB on the VM?

0 Kudos
RenaudL
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The virtual nics of the guest OSs will always appear to be 1G nics.

Don't worry though, this doesn't influence the maximum speed you are able to reach at all: this is only an hint and in no way indicates the speed of the underlying ESX pnics plugged in the server.

0 Kudos
dark76000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are you sure because i tried a transfer with an oher server with the same card and i don't have a 10 GB transfer?

0 Kudos
dark76000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i don't think to have a 10GB/s rate

0 Kudos
RenaudL
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Reaching the theoretical 10G line rate is currently very hard (even with a native OS). There are quite a few bottlenecks preventing the OS from achieving to generate such an amount of data:

• The CPU itself, which usually tops at 100% before reaching the maximal speed.

• The PCI bus (I think at least a PCI-Express 16x slot is needed to reach 10G).

• The management of the data being pushed to the wire (this is our bit, we're putting tremendous efforts into improving this part).

And the most common of all:

• The I/O accesses to fetch data from another medium (SAN / local SCSI, etc). Only a generic network benchmark (netperf/iperf) will give you a good idea of what your bandwidth is.

So it is unlikely you'll be able to reach the theoretical 10G limit, but you'll still get better performance than with a 1G nic. We're continuously improving our 10G support, so expect the speed only to go up once we fine-tune ESX.

If you have any questions/concerns, you can send me a private message and I'll be able to answer you in French.

0 Kudos