VMware Cloud Community
brian_plank
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Networking Scenario

Hello, guys. How are you doing?

I need some support here, could you help me?

I have six pNics installed in a server. The complete scenario is 2 identical esx servers, but it can change latter in the future, with more esx servers.

My original Idea is to give two nics for vm traffic, two for service console redundancy (one service console attached in these nics) , and the last two nics for vmkernel (vmotion). All the nics would be in the same network. So my question is: Is there any problem with that?

I was wondering if, with all the virtual machines in a network (eg.192.168.1.X) and with the service console and vmotion IP in the same network would be a problem. I also would like to know if the vmotion gateway being the same gateway of the VM's would be a problem, or if I dont have/need to specify vmotion gateway.

Lastly, can I "create a network" just for vmotion? I mean, this network does not exist in the LAN.....i would just give IP's in another range (like 10.1.1.X) for the vmotion interfaces in the esx servers. Or, to do it, i would need some real network implemented (for example a VLAN defined in the switch)

P.S: I know that, for security reasons, is best to keep the SC in another network , but this is not the case.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kooltechies
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

The scenario will work, however vmotion will require a real ip which also have a proper routing you can't just give any ip for which no network exist.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kooltechies
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

The scenario will work, however vmotion will require a real ip which also have a proper routing you can't just give any ip for which no network exist.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Another best practice is to create the isolated vMotion you mentioned due to clear text transfers. This can be accomplished using vlans.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello, guys. How are you doing?

I need some support here, could you help me?

I have six pNics installed in a server. The complete scenario is 2 identical esx servers, but it can change latter in the future, with more esx servers.

My original Idea is to give two nics for vm traffic, two for service console redundancy (one service console attached in these nics) , and the last two nics for vmkernel (vmotion). All the nics would be in the same network. So my question is: Is there any problem with that?

There is no problem in doing that but, it's better to place the Service Console behind a firewall on separate vLan and only the Administrators can gain access to it via restricted ports.

I was wondering if, with all the virtual machines in a network (eg.192.168.1.X) and with the service console and vmotion IP in the same network would be a problem. I also would like to know if the vmotion gateway being the same gateway of the VM's would be a problem, or if I dont have/need to specify vmotion gateway.

Yes, it's a problem because you are not segregating your networking traffic among others within the same host. Again, it's better to segregate the networking traffic becuase the vMotion traffic travels in Clear Text. If your vMotion network the same as the Service Console && your VMs Network "All in the same Network Range" and these VMs are internet facing then it's a security problem. If one of the VMs get compromized then the hacker can gain access to all of your host.

Lastly, can I "create a network" just for vmotion? I mean, this network does not exist in the LAN.....i would just give IP's in another range (like 10.1.1.X) for the vmotion interfaces in the esx servers. Or, to do it, i would need some real network implemented (for example a VLAN defined in the switch)

vMotion can work even as long as both network can reach each other even if they are connected via a Cross Cable. As long as the VMkernel Network of Host1 can ping other host VMkernel and the Default Gateway which is configured in the Service Console is pingable via VMKping command. Your vMotion should work without any problem even it's on 10.0.0.0 or 10.1.0.0

P.S: I know that, for security reasons, is best to keep the SC in another network , but this is not the case.

Thanks in advance.

Since you have got 6 pNics in your host. Do this;

pNic0 & pNic1 for vSwitch0 "Service Conosle"

pNic2 & pNic3 for vSwitch1 "VMkernel"

pNic4 $ pNic5 for vSwitch2 "VM Network"

If you would place a DMZ VMs You can do this;

pNic0 & pNic1 for vSwitch0 "Service Console & VMkernel" Using vLAN Trunking and both pNics can backup each other if one of them goes down, still you can access the Service Conole and still you will be able to vMotion

pNic2 & pNic3 for vSwitch1 for Production "Internal Network VMs"

pNic4 & pNic5 for vSwitch2 for DMZ VMs

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Check out my Topology Blogs on how best to use 6 pNICS with VMware ESX.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
brian_plank
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you all guys!