VMware Cloud Community
MrMix
Contributor
Contributor

Network problems after VMConverter (have tried removing ghost NICs)

Hi,

I used VM Converter v 4 to migrate a Windows 2003 Enterprise Server VM from an ESX 3.0.0 server over to an ESX 3.5 Update 5 server. I now can't connect the migrated VM to the network.

I've tried removing ghost adaptors and I've tried using devcon to do the same per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269155 but still can't get it to connect.

I've noticed when I'm removing and adding Virtual NICs that the Network Adaptor number in Windows always increments - "Local Area Connection #2" then "Local Area Connection #3" etc, even though I'm removing ghosted NICs etc as I go..

For info I also removed and upgraded VMTools.

I have other VMs on the same switch (a 56 port) which are OK.

Any advice much appreciated!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

There is really not much you should have had to do going form 3.0 to 3.5 other than upgrading VMware tools - have you checked some of the basic stuff like check the IP address of the new VM is it correct for the host it is supposed to be on? Can you ping the gateway IP from W2K3 server that you migrated? can it ping anything else on the network like other VMs connected to the same virtual switch/port group ?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Double post

Message was edited by: weinstein5

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

clean up this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
MrMix
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone.

It turns out that each switch port in the datacentre is locked down to a particular VLAN and each VLAN’s gateway was limited to those ports (the switch is the gateway). So the ports that the ESX server is on are basically limited to a particular IP subnet & VLAN. The VM I was using was on a different subnet so, although it’s been attached to the network the whole time, it couldn’t find a gateway to communicate with any servers on any subnet (including its own because they’re all on a different VLAN!).

Hope that makes sense - thanks for everyone's input!

0 Kudos
JBLberia
Contributor
Contributor

Before you decide to clean-up registry read this:

support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

and remove unused network cards

0 Kudos