VMware Cloud Community
vheff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Network configuration on ESX

If you go to Network Adapters under the Configuration tab for an ESX server, one of the columns listed is 'Networks'. Where does it get this information from?

The reason I ask is that I can't see all of my VLAN's. Also, in one of my ESX servers NIC's, one of the VLAN's is incorrectly defined.

Any help is much apreciated!

Ray

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

It's just seeing what's going past on the network.

The developer of this feature was on the forums once saying he wanted to call it the network helper as that's what it's intended for.

It simply sees the packets and identifies which network your patched onto.

frankdenneman
Expert
Expert

Hi Ray

Networks shows you the up addresses that the network adapter has access to. It reads them from the switch the adapter has access to. A sort of scanlist.

What exactly do you mean with not seeing your VLAN? Do you have trunked the port on the physicall switch? Do you have entered the VLAN ID on the port group\switch?

MR-T beat me to it.

m-u-s-t-t-y-p-e-f-a-s-t-e-r. Smiley Happy

Message was edited by:

Frank_D

Blogging: frankdenneman.nl Twitter: @frankdenneman Co-author: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical Deepdive, vSphere 5x Clustering Deepdive series
vheff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses guys. I thought this was the case, so I'm glad I'm not going mad.

I'll check the config on our switches again, probably a config issue there.

Ray.

0 Kudos
dmehringer
Contributor
Contributor

So is there a way, either in the COS or GUI, that I be sure that the Network guys properly trunked the correct VLAN's down all the proper interfaces? At our shop, we are not granted access to the Cisco switches to verify configs, so I need a way to verify that they didn't make a mistake.

How have other people dealt with this?

0 Kudos
m0ther
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, those networks don't mean anything as far as I know. It's misleading at best.

0 Kudos
msmenne17
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The VMware side is pretty simple. All you do is create vswifs and tell them which VLAN they belong to.

There is no way (that I know of) to verify the switch config from the SC or VIC. In my experience, if the Virtual Switch and Virtual Switch Iterfaces are setup correctly, then it either works or it doesnt' (indicating something on the swtich is wrong).

Make sure you're not trying to use the Management VLAN. We had that problem initially where I'm working now. It's the VLAN (usually VLAN1 I think) that Cisco uses to manage the VLANs. I've found that VMware doesn't like it.

0 Kudos