VMware Cloud Community
Shakey
Contributor
Contributor

Network adapter speed issue

Hello Everyone,

I am new to ESX product, if I have not provided information you are looking for please ask I shall try my best.

Yesterday I deployed ESX server 3.0.2 build-52542 and server has following physical network adapter cards:

2x Broadcom NextStreme Gigabit

2x Intel Gigabit

If you need to know the model number please let me know.

ESX server installed successfully and configured fine. Only thing I have noticed that Intel card is displaying its speed 100 MBps within the ESX server. I have doubled checked it is plugged into gigabit Cisco switch and the port is set to auto negotiate. The adapter is also set to auto negotiate.

ESX server is using e1000 driver for Intel cards and bnx2 for Broadcom cards.

I have tried setting it to fix 1000 MBps on switch and adpter and then reboot server but still no joy.

Please can someone point me in the right direction to get the network adapter speed to 1000 MBps. Thank you - Shakey

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That's strange. What does the Service Console tell you the speed is?

esxcfg-nics -l

You can change the speeds with the same command as well just to be sure the VC Client isn't tricking you with refresh issued.

esxcfg-nics --speed 1000 --duplex full vmnicX

If it fails try another switchport and/or another cable, I assume you are using CAT5E or CAT6?

Cheers

Kenneth

JayGrassi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if you do a show port on the cisco switch what is it saying the link speed is?

Also check for any Multi-Coll Late-Coll Excess-Coll this indicates that there is a speed and or duplex mismatch.

Shakey
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Kenneth and JayGrassi

Thanks ever so much for your valuable time and your posts where helpful. I retraced the cabling and it was patched to 100Mbps switch. One of my team members re-patched after me. This also explains why I got disconnect from putty for short time!

After patching to right switch it is showing 1000Mbps on the service console and UI.

Thanks once again.

Kind regards,

Shakey

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Somethings the solution is so easy Smiley Happy

Thanks for the update!

0 Kudos