VMware Cloud Community
Brad_C
Contributor
Contributor

Netapp storage best practices - datastore/disk layout for snapshot

I am trying to following the netapp vmware storage best practices guide () in configuring datastores to be used by my ESX3.5 hosts and guest VMs so that I can use netapp snapshots for backups. Specifically, I'm having problems with the following:

The guide states "For example, if you have a group of VMs that creates a Snapshot copy three times a day and a second group that creates a Snapshot copy once a day, then you need a minimum of four NetApp volumes."

And then a subsequent page has the figure shown at the bottom of my post. My question is, if you assume VM#1 below is snapshot copied 3 times per day (Flex Vol 1), and then I add VM #2 to the diagram below that needs to be snapshot copied once per day, how is it necessary to add two more netapp volumes? Shouldn't I just be able to add one more netapp volume (Flex Vol 3), with a LUN that will become Datastore3 and store the VMDK for VM#2, which will be snapshot copied on the once per day schedule? And then just store the VSWP, Logs, and windows/linux temporary data for VM#2 on the already existing Datastore1?

Essentially, can it not end up looking like:

Flexvol1 (snapshotschedule1) --> Datastore1 --> VMDK File 1

Flexvol2 (snapshotschedule2) --> Datastore2 --> VMDK File 2

Flexvol3 (no snapshots) --> Datastore3 --> VSWP File 1, VSWP File 2, VM#1-logs, VM#2-logs, VM#1-tempdata, VM#2-tempdata (where tempdata is either linux guest OS swap or windows guest OS pagefile and system/user temp directories)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Brad_C
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry. The image didn't upload. Apparently the vmware communities site is having problems right now, but if you click the link in my original post you can see the image I was referring to on page 62 of the PDF. Any assistance will be most appreciated.

-Brad C.

0 Kudos