VMware Cloud Community
bleibold
Contributor
Contributor

NetQueue enabled, no network connectivity for VMs.

I am trying to get NetQueue enabled on 2 ESX 3.5 Update 4 servers. I have the Intel® Gigabit ET Dual Port Server Adapter. I've loaded the driver for these cards (not included in the base install) using these instructions:

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/drivercd/esx35-igb-350.1.3.8.6.3.html

That works fine.

I enabled NetQueue support via KB Article 1009010 and reboot. All tests in the document come out fine, but the VMs on these hosts have no network connectivity. If I uncheck the box for VMkernel.Boot.netNetqueueEnabled in the advanced settings, things work fine. Check the box and reboot, lose network connectivity.

I opened a ticket with VMware and they have escalated, but it's been over a week and I thought I'd try the communities.

I've also downgraded to U3 and installed that driver to see if it would work on that version, but got the same results.

Anyone have any experience using NetQueue with the Intel® Gigabit ET Dual Port Server Adapter?

Thanks,

Bob

0 Kudos
8 Replies
bleibold
Contributor
Contributor

Heard back from VMware support today, issue appears to be a combination of using VLAN tagging and NetQueue. No resolution as of yet, but as of now, it appears that you can't use VLAN tagging with NetQueue.

I'll post when I hear more from support.

Bob

0 Kudos
bleibold
Contributor
Contributor

VMware support was able to re-produce the problem. The have filed a PR with their engineering team to get it resolved. So it's a bug it seems.

Bob

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Keep us up to date!

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
bleibold
Contributor
Contributor

Heard more from support today. It turns out this was a known issue at Intel, and they are testing an updated driver now. VMware will be updating the driver download page and the NetQueue KB article to reflect the lack of support for VLAN tagging and Jumbo Frames at this time. Should have a new driver from Intel with a few weeks hopefully.

Bob

0 Kudos
wholmes
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone konw if VLAN tagging is an issue with the Intel 82598EB 10 Gigabit Ethernet controllers and NetQueue?

0 Kudos
bleibold
Contributor
Contributor

Well, finally got back to this with some new ESX servers I brought in over the last couple of weeks. Looks like the latest driver for the Intel 82576 Gigabit network card (1.3.19.15.2.1) fixes the issue with NetQueue not working with VLAN tagging (802.1q). I installed the lastet driver and followed the KB to configure NetQueue and I did NOT lose my network connectivity to the VM. I'll do some more testing, but this one looks resolved.

Bob

0 Kudos
Protoburger
Contributor
Contributor

Where did you get this new driver ? How can I install this new driver into my ESX ?

I've tried to use NetQueue with ESX 4 It's not working too... =/

Fake marketing, hunf....

0 Kudos
bleibold
Contributor
Contributor

My issue dealt specifically with ESX 3.5 using VLAN trunking, not ESX 4, so I don't know that the same issue exists on the newer version and if you aren't using VLAN trunking, it also probably doens't apply.

As for the driver, you have to be using a network card that supports NetQueue. In my case, that is the Intel 82576 Gigabit NIC but there are several out there, both 1 GB and 10 GB. I downloaded the driver for the 82576 from VMware's web site. Here is a link to get the driver for ESX 4:

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_vsphere_4/4#drivers_tools

As for installation, there is a readme.txt included on the ISO file that you download that has the installation instructions.

Good luck.

Bob

0 Kudos