VMware Cloud Community
GaneshNetworks

Need to find out list of VMs that are configured with Microsoft Cluster

All,

I have 200+ virtual machines in my farm. Some are configured with MS cluster. Now its the time to audit.

Can anyone give me a solution to find out the list of VMs configured with MS cluster, either command or script or any easiest way to fetch.

Appreciate your inputs on this.

Note: If I couldn't get any solution, i need to login to all VMs. Really its gonna be a hectic job. Please made me comfy.

Thanks,

Ganesh

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Basheer09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Ganesh,

This is little tricky, as we need Physical compatibility Mode RDM to create MSCS clustered VM.

As a work around we can search for the VM which has rdmp file associated with it. It will not surely give u the MSCS clustered config. However it will reduce the number of VM's to search for MSCS config.

Use the command

grep -i rdmp /vmfs/volumes/*/*/*.vmx | less

OR

ls -lRth /vmfs/volumes/ | grep -i rdmp

This will list u all the VM's with Physical compatibility mode RDM and from there u could sort out VM's with MSCS clustered config. Smiley Wink

Kindly consider clicking on "correct" or "helpful" button if this information is useful.

0 Kudos
ChrisDearden
Expert
Expert

Surely those cluster VM's are going to be connected to a heartbeat network ?

you might have some better results from the  PowerCLi gurus but I wonder if you could drop ( via a batch script ) a powercli script into your VM's to return its cluster status.

you coudl kick that off from invoke-vmscript at the vmware level ?

I've got to ask as its the 500lb Gorilla in the middle of the room - how have you got into a situation where you don't know anything about the workloads running in your farm ? I can only assume you are running a hosting environment of some form ?

If this post has been useful , please consider awarding points. @chrisdearden http://jfvi.co.uk http://vsoup.net
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Do you have enough rights on all servers in your VC to query WMI?

If so, powershell is the way forward.

First, get a list of all VMs:

get-vm | select name

then cycle through these and query using WMI:

Get-WmiObject -computer $vm MSCluster_Cluster -Namespace "Root\MSCluster" -ne $null

For Loop not done, but if you're battling, drop me a note.              

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos