VMware Cloud Community
aenagy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Need to configure ESX 3.0.1 to see VMFS3 and VMFS2 volumes.

I am exploring options for our VI2 to VI3 migration. The one option that I am looking at is using an ESX 3.0.1 host connected to all of our VMFS2 and VMFS3 volumes and simply using the 'cp' command as a cold migration strategy. At this point in time I am only looking at cold migrations, VMotion is NOT and option.

I have already installed ESX Server 3.0.1, no patches yet, on a blade and the SAN administrator has configured access to all LUNS with VMFS2 or VMFS3 volumes. The migration host is added to the same VC2.0.1 server as my destination ESX 3.0.1 hosts. The ESX 2.5.x hosts are managed by a separate VC1.3 server. I am trying to avoid adding my ESX 2.5.x hosts to my VC2.0.1 if possible, but will do so if necessary.

My problem is that I can see the SAN LUNs on my migration host in "Storage Adapters" but don't know how make them visible to the host without destroying the data on these volumes. I have seen the threads below but am unsure if they are viable options. These volumes currently have production virtual machines, so I need to be VERY careful.

Mounting a replicated SAN LUN

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=86965

Moving a VM (esx2.1 .dsk) on a new VI3 server (3.0.1)

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=85995

I do have a VMware Converter 3.0.1 Enterprise VM set up, but I wanted to explore this option first. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

My advice is upgrade virtualcenter before your hosts, you can then migrate using DMOTION on the fly, No downtime required.

You should be able to view VMFS2 Luns as Read only while doing dmotioning in VC2 I am not sure if you can acheive what you are doing with VC1.3.

Why do you want/have to do it this way?

0 Kudos
aenagy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The reason for not upgrading VC1.3 is because we already have VC2.0.1 and we have no want/need for two management servers. The old VC1.3 server will be de-commissioned when the last host is rebuilt as ESX 3.0.1.

The reason for not moving the ESX 2.5.x servers to VC2.0.1 is because I prefer to do this when the hosts are rebuilt (wipe and load) as ESX 3.0.1. I will do this, but only if absolutely necessary. All of these hosts are production so I am very reluctant to experiment.

VMotion is not an option the older hosts are not configured for it. This will be fixed when the hosts are rebuilt. Management has already agreed to the downtime for a cold migration.

As you say VMFS2 volumes should be accessible as read-only which is what I want. The problem as stated in my original post is that I can see the LUNs in "Storage Adapters" in VC, but they don't show up in "Storage (SCSI, SAN and NFS)". I don't see any VMFS volumes. How do I make them show up as VMFS volumes without destroying the data on them?

There are a few reason for wanting to do it this way:

(1) Simply because I am exploring my options and am convinced that this should work.

(2) By doing it this way my VM migration will take place over 2 Gbps FC rather than 1 Gbps Ethernet.

(3) This gives me a good idea for how we would go about doing a SAN migration. We don't have any magical SAN LUN replication solution and don't expect to get one any time soon.

0 Kudos
tgradig
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Couple of things..

1. Doing a cold migration, the copy will go through the Service Console nic card. If you are copying large vmdk's this could take some time. We found this out while doing our migration. You wouldn't be copying through FC, just LAN.

2. I would add everything into VC2.0.1. It makes life a whole lot easier and it doesn't take anytime to add and remove the machines. This was one of the steps that VM recommends when doing a upgrade.

3. If you have enough licenses for VMotion, I would setup all the 2.5.2 hosts to use VMotion and do the online migration. The server doesn't go down and all you need to do afterwards is upgrade the hardware and re-install the tools. This was the best way that we converted all of our hosts.

I don't know why your 3.0 hosts don't see your LINS. Make sure the SAN guys assigned the same LUN ID's. This is important. If the LUN ID is about 14 or 15, we had problems seeing them also and had to lower them and we were able to see it. After you have rights, it should show up on the 3.0 host.

Good Luck,

Message was edited by:

tgradig

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think this backs up my statements of using VC 2.01 for everything it will save you so much time and effort and is the VMware best practice in case you have to get support from them.

Dan

0 Kudos
aenagy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have a suspicion that because I asked the SAN admins to configure the Clariion storage groups for all old and new LUNs there was no assurance that the paths to these LUNs would be the same. VC/ESX were either confused or attempting to protect me from hurting myself. Rather than troubleshoot this on production LUNs I decided on a different course of action. I have abandoned this approach and am now using Converter 3.0.1 Enterprise which works quite well for cold migrations, warm migrations -- not so much. Need to do some more investigation and/or open a case.

0 Kudos