VMware Cloud Community
MnPixman
Contributor
Contributor

Need some help with CPU count/license

I have an HP DL580 with 4 physical CPUs in it. My company has sent me a license for it. The license file says the product is VI3 Enterprise and the quantity is four (4). I load the license file to the server and it says it loads fine, but when I look at the VI Client, I see it is licensed for one cpu. And I can't even add more than one virtual cpu to a machine. If I look at the Health Status, I see all four CPUs showing green. Is there something I am missing? Kind of new to this so any pointers/suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

VMware license counts per physical sockets, so if you have the servers with more cores the better such 4 or 8 cores which helps alot in savings. New vSphere licensings counts cores differently and some edition counts 6 cores per physical socket, so plan accordingly. So, if your physical server has 4 physical CPU, than you would need a license that has 4 CPU counts. vSMP is a feature allow you to allocate multiple vCPU to your guest machines, but if you're not license for this feature, you will not be able to run 2vCPU or above. I would check out the license console and view it from vCenter to see what features are enabled and missing and start from there. Visit VMware Licensing for details http://www.vmware.com/support/licensing.html

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Along the lines of vSMP, you probably will not want to be creating many multi CPU VM's anyhow. the more multicpu VM's you have, the worse performance you are gonig to see as you scale up the number of VM's.

Typically I start a VM off with a single CPU and 512MB of RAM...with page sharing, windows only actively uses about 100MB of RAM leaving lots of room ofr applications. Only on very specific servers do I up the CPU or RAM (and only after they've experienced the need for more resources).

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Evening,

Are you able to post a picture of the Licensed Features screen?

I would just like to confirm that you have the server licensed correctly. It would almost seem that you have it set to ESX Starter rather than ESX Standard/Enterprise.

Thanks and kind regards,

Glen

Ooops, should have read the first poster completely. Looks like you have already been given this information.

Message was edited by: ThompsG

0 Kudos
MnPixman
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. Just looked at the summary for this host and see that it only shows a single CPU (see attached image). If the DL580 has four physical cpus, why woudl the summary only show one, yet when I look at the Configuration/Health Status page, I see four processors all green?

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is it a single socket quad core?

That's only a single cpu according to esx

0 Kudos
MnPixman
Contributor
Contributor

No. It is four (4) single core cpus.

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Evening,

Are you able to post a picture of the licensing screen for this server. It would be handy to see what license it thinks you have applied.

Thanks and kind regards,

Glen

0 Kudos