VMware Cloud Community
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Need help with a VLAN setup

Aloha -

This is what I want to do. Our "home" network is x.x.2.x . I want to tag 16.x (and future) vlans onto it. The network guy has the ports set up. I have a VM with the need to access both 2.x and 16.x. The VM has two vNICs with a 2.x address and a 16.x address. See the attached for the ESX setup. When we bring the VM up, we can ping either the 2.x address or the 16.x by itself. However if we ping the 2.x address then try to ping 16.x address, the 16.x ping times out and vice versa. Can anyone offer some advice??

Mahalo, Bill

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm bumping this. I''d really appreciate some assistance.

Mahalo,

Bill

0 Kudos
naveenvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The image is not matching the specifications you need. If your network guy has configured the port as trunk( can access both vlans), then you should provide vlan ids to both the portgroups you have configured(you have given vlan id only in one of them).

Secondly you should select both these portgroup for your two virtual adaptor cards(1 for first and second for another) through "edit setting". Your image is showing that you have selected only one of them and not other.

NUTZ

VCP 3.5

(Preparing for VCP 4)

NUTZ VCP 3.5 (Preparing for VCP 4)
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

By looking at my attachment, you can now see that I added the second VLAN ID. But I cannot figure out how to add the vNICs to the second portgroup.

Mahalo, Bill

0 Kudos
DennieTidwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a VM with 2 vNICs in separate subnets/VLANs ... the vNICs on the guest showed up "automatically" in the networking without manual intervention. I suggest checking your tcp settings on the VM and rebooting it.

0 Kudos
naveenvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Okay, So u need to right click the VM - > edit settings - > Select network adaptor 1 - > select the first vlan. Similarily Select network adaptor 2 - > select the second vlan.

Right now I can see two vmnics i.e vmnic9 and vmnic7. Make sure both these are configured identically with speed duplex from the physical switch and as trunk port to access both vlans.

If you still want your portgroups to pass through traffic from a specific vmnic, u can got the vSwitch properties -> select portgroup edit - > nic teaming - > and select the vmnic in active and as standby accordingly.

NUTZ

VCP 3.5

(Preparing for VCP 4)

NUTZ VCP 3.5 (Preparing for VCP 4)
0 Kudos