VMware Cloud Community
mj1077
Contributor
Contributor

Need help moving a VM from VMPlayer to ESX3.5 VM

I need a help in understanding the procedure. Actually I have a user who is using a Solaris10 for some development purpose using VMWare Player on his PC.

There are 13 vmdk files and he says he has couple of Solaris daemon. The VMPlayer's NIC is configured as NAT so he can communicate between his PC and the VM.

Since, his PC got crashed few times in past, he wanted us to host that Solaris VM on our ESX. I gave it a try, while importing the vmdk, I got following - "DiskLib_Check() failed for source disk The file specified is not a virtual disk (15)."

Then I created a VM and tried to install the VMPlayer on that. But, I think a VM product can't run on VM. Now not sure what to do and how to do. Could you please suggest something in this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

VMplayer only allows you to run vm's, and not create them. Typically, we would suggest using converter, but that doesn't work here for Solaris. If the vm was created in vmware workstation/server, then the hardware type won't work directly in ESX. You can try and copy the vmdk files directly to the ESX host's vmfs, create a new Solaris vm, and add the disks as existing disks.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
mj1077
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

0 Kudos