VMware Cloud Community
kjg19
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NTP configuration

I have recently set up 3 ESX servers and haven't had any problems up until now with time synchronization. I have the vm's time synced to the esx host through vmtools. I also have a physical server that is acting as my NTP server for our domain. What is the correct protocol for this? Should i enable the NTP client in the esx server and point it to my physical ntp server? Need some suggestions as I am just a beginner here. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no it does not require a beoot - as you configure you will be able to restart the NTP service -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lmonaco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would...

/etc/ntp.conf

restrict 127.0.0.1

restrict default kod nobodify notrap

server 01.corp.domain.com

server 02.corp.domain.com

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift

/etc/ntp/step-tickers

01.corp.domain.com

02.corp.domain.com

esxcfg-firewall --enableService ntpClient

service ntpd restart

chkconfig --level 345 ntpd on

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are running 3.5 you can use the VI client to configure the NTP settings for your host - I would point your hosts NTP client at your physical NTP server -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
kjg19
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you weinstein5. I actually noticed that but wasn't sure if that was the proper procedure or not. Does this require a reboot in order for these changes to take affect?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no it does not require a beoot - as you configure you will be able to restart the NTP service -

0 Kudos