VMware Cloud Community
karlhoh
Contributor
Contributor

NPIV not working

hi,

i have a short question and maybe somebody can help me on this one. i try to install and use NPIV on a brand new 3.5 installation but i can't get it to work. the HBA and switch do support NPIV. i checked that already.

in /proc/scsi/qla2300/1 i see that the NPIV is supported however it does not create any vports

NPIV Supported : Yes

Max Virtual Ports = 64

SCSI Device Information:

scsi-qla0-adapter-node=200000e08b9bf799;

scsi-qla0-adapter-port=210000e08b9bf799;

FC Port Information:

scsi-qla0-port-0=200200a0b813e4c6:200200a0b813e4c7:010100:81;

scsi-qla0-port-1=200200a0b813e4c6:200300a0b813e4c7:011400:82;

SCSI LUN Information:

(Id:Lun) * - indicates lun is not registered with the OS.

( 0: 0): Total reqs 47, Pending reqs 0, flags 0x0, 0:0:81,

( 0: 1): Total reqs 3881, Pending reqs 0, flags 0x0, 0:0:81,

( 0: 2): Total reqs 46, Pending reqs 0, flags 0x0, 0:0:81,

( 1: 0): Total reqs 25932, Pending reqs 0, flags 0x0, 0:0:82,

( 1: 1): Total reqs 47, Pending reqs 0, flags 0x0, 0:0:82,

( 1: 2): Total reqs 9940, Pending reqs 0, flags 0x0, 0:0:82,

Bus:Function = 0x2:0x10

on the switch (brocade) i enabled NPIV on the correct port

Ports of Slot 0 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

-

--+----+--++--++----

Speed AN AN AN AN AN AN AN AN AN AN AN AN AN AN AN AN

Trunk Port .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

Long Distance .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

VC Link Init .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

Locked L_Port .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

Locked G_Port .. .. ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ..

Disabled E_Port .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

ISL R_RDY Mode .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

RSCN Suppressed .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

Persistent Disable.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

NPIV capability .. .. ON .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

in the VM i did a RDM and i checked the NPIV tag and created the NPIV WWNs.

however this does simply not work for me. i already had a look to http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_san_cfg.pdf and http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35_25_npiv_config.pdf however this didn't really help me.

ANY help would be really welcome.

thanks in advance for your feedback.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
gabyam
Contributor
Contributor

Confirm

I Have Same Devices (QLE2460 and Brocade 200E) and Same LOGs!!!!

... obviously same problem!

0 Kudos
Matthias_Barre
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

how do you check the npiv tag and then how do you generate an NPIV WWN???

We have the same problem! We have qlogic hba´s and a brocade 200e switch, but we have only 8 Switch Ports enabled - is this a problem???

Kind regards Matthias

0 Kudos
avarcher
Commander
Commander

Hi, I had the same problem and upgrading the firmware on the HBA to the latest version sorted it.

Also, I'm not sure how this problem is manifesting itself for you, you seem to get the WWNs generated for the VM, when you power on the VM (and during the power on only unless you have presented LUNs to the new 28... WWNs) does nsshow on the switch show an entry for the 28... wwn?

Cheers, Andy.

0 Kudos
gabyam
Contributor
Contributor

My HBA firmware is the lastest (BIOS 1.29, FCode 1.27, EFI 1.09, Firmware 4.0030).

The Brocade 200E in 8 port mode config (basic) with no Full Fabric option...can function in Switch Mode and in Gateway Mode... (Here I understand, but I'not sure).

In Gateway Mode seem to fully support NPIV in Switch mode is not fully support NPIV (only with FOS 5.3.0).... i have FOS 5.2.0a....

I understand that with basic FC Switch it's no possibility to test NPIV!

Can anyone to confirm this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Matthias_Barre
Contributor
Contributor

This is my problem, too!

Is the basic 8Port Brocade 200e Switch NPIV supported???

Here is the nsshow output from the brocade switch. Is this correct (which is the npiv port - esx3 on port 1!)???

Matthias

0 Kudos
Matthias_Barre
Contributor
Contributor

So i have a good document from brocade (see attachment!)

We can change the brocade 200e switch in access gateway mode (switch admin in java gui), but after changing the mode to agm you have no e-port (we have a switched fabrics!) and other things.

Brocade website:

Q: What are the differences between Brocade Access Gateway mode and standard switch mode?

A: When the Brocade blade server SAN switch is in Brocade Access Gateway mode, most switch features are no longer applicable. These features include Admin Domains, Brocade Advanced Performance Monitoring, Brocade Advanced Zoning, direct connection to SAN target devices, Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop support, Brocade Fabric Manager, FICON, IP over Fibre Channel, Brocade ISL Trunking, Brocade Extended Fabrics, Management Services, Name Services (SNS), port mirroring, Brocade Secure Fabric OS, and SMI-S. These switch features are available in the default switch mode of operation. In addition, the Brocade Access Gateway can connect to switches providing these services.

Q: Is cascading of the Brocade Access Gateway supported?

A: This is not planned for the initial release.

Q: Can I connect the Brocade Access Gateway to multiple fabrics?

A: This is not planned for the initial release.

For the rest look here:

I have no idea how the access gateway work with normal storage systems and other host except esx host....

Is think we can not use this feature :-((((((

hopefully matthias

0 Kudos
karlhoh
Contributor
Contributor

hi matthias,

i think you are mixing things up here...

1. NPIV is a feature that is used to have virtual HBAs in a FC SAN

2. if you use NPIV on an HBA which is installed in a server then you have virtuals HBAs connected to a single FC Port in your fabric. so in this case you are connecting a HBA to a normal FC switch which is supporing NPIV. on a brocade switch you can simply check with portcfgshow. if you get a line named "NPIV capability" then your switch is supporting a FC HBA logging into the fabric with NPIV

3. NPIV can also be used with switches connecting to another switch. this is normaly only needed in VERY large Blade Environments were you are using small (16 Ports or so) switches internally in the blade chassis. so if you are connecting e.g. 100 blade chassis you get 100 switches in the fabric. that can lead to problems. fabric reconfigurations, scalability limitations and so on. so if you are using a switch internally in the blade chassis that can use NPIV to connect to another switch that's called a gateway. so for the core switch the connected blade switch looks like a normal HBA. and that's the trick to reduce the number of switches in the fabric.

so in your case you want to use a normal switch. and you want to use NPIV on the HBA to switch connection. you don't want to use a gateway.

hope that helps to clarify....

p.s.: i didn't have the time to do further debugging of the original problem why i started the post. but next step will be upgrade the HBA firmware.

rgds karl.

0 Kudos
Matthias_Barre
Contributor
Contributor

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

ich werde vom 08.01.2008 bis einschließlich 23.01.2008 nicht im Office sein und auch keine Möglichkeit haben, meine Emails zu lesen. Ich werde Ihre Email anschließend so schnell wie möglich beantworten.

In dringenden Fällen können Sie auch meine Kollegen unter 040-22744306 anrufen.

Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis

Matthias Barre

--

Dipl.Ing.

Matthias Barre

Technical Consultant

antauris AG

Forsmannstrasse 22a

22303 Hamburg

Tel.: +49 40 227 443 09

Fax: +49 40 227 443 11

email: matthias.barre@antauris.de