VMware Cloud Community
saldon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NIC teaming

I have all of my VM's connected through a single virtual switch which currently is connected to a single NIC on my corporate network. I have setup this NIC to do vlan tagging. I would like to configure a second NIC with vlan tagging and connect it to a different corporate network switch. My intention is that if the first NIC looses connectivity for any reason the second NIC will activate and my VM's will continue to have network connectivity.

My questions are: Will this work as I intend? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

- Tom

- Tom
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SkyC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tom -

I would recommend giving a read to take a look at the best practices concerning your configuration based on the number of NICs in your ESX hosts.

If you add additional links to an existing vswitch, it will be utilized by the virtual machines attached to that vswitch depending on the load balancing you select in the properties of the vswitch. In the case of a failure of one of your links, the traffic should then be routed to the remaining link(s). You can configure how the uplinks should be used (active or standby) if you want to force all traffic to go down a particular NIC.

saldon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'll take a look at that document but I'm intending to connect to two different corporate switches.

- Tom

- Tom
0 Kudos
bennice
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It shouldn't matter that the 2nd NIC is connected to a different physical switch. In fact, that's a good practice. All that is needed is to make sure the same VLAN tags work on both switches and that you add both NICs to the same vSwitch. You can then play around with load balancing policies to do what you need to do.

0 Kudos