VMware Cloud Community
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor

NIC not Working on ESX Host

I have a very bizarre problem. The NIC on my ESX host does not work when ESX is booted. It will blink and flash and show activity while in the BIOS but as soon as ESX is booted the NIC stops flashing and can not be reached by its IP. It worked fine a few weeks ago, then was powered down. And then powered back up for the first time again today, jsut now. Im not really sure where to even begin on this one.

The server is an IBM x3200 server.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

sounds like a bad NIC, or bad cable. Have you swapped cables to test?

0 Kudos
znet98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you can set 2nd NIC on X3200 using same cable and differnet IP from same subnet, to see it works

if working, then IP conflict or nic0 is dead, if not, maybe the cable or switch port configuration.

Hard to say both NIC have problem at same time

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Is it integrated or NIC card itself? Have test unsit it again to see if it secure and test it on different server if the card is bad otherwise try to update the latest driver/firmware if possible and test again or time for new NIC. (check NICs, connections, cables, switch ports, firmware, replacement)

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm. Well I reinstalled ESX on the host and tada the NIC works just fine. It blinks and is accessible via its IP address. Not sure what caused the problem but everything is good to go.

Also ntoe the second NIC on the x3200 is the system management NIC. Ive never gotten it to work ever.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

glad you got it resolved. Sounds like your first install, ESX didn't bind properly to the NIC in question.

0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor

See thats the thing I dont understand. I used the host successfully for 2 weeks. Then I powered it off a few weeks ago since I didnt need it any more. And today when I powered it up, boom the NIC didnt work.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I would still keep an eye on it then. You may have a faulty NIC and/or cable. Also, is your firmware current?

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I wouldn't count on it if its a critical production host but if its for testing you shouldn't worry much but wait until it's dead! But should check those standard details we've mentioned to make sure everything is covered as far as technical troubleshooting concerns.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
znet98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

glad to see you resolve it.

I did not talk about the system management NIC, it should (by common concept of IBM X) have 2 nics integrated with motherboard.

we are using x3550 and x3650 for hosts, and add another quad-card in , b/c we dont use IP truncking, and get multiple subnet for 6-8 VMs

0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting. I only have 1 real NIC.

So I figured out the problem. When I shut down the host 2 weeks ago, the NIC was set to Full 1000 Duplex. Turned it on with that setting and it didnt work. Reinstalled and after installation I noticed it was set to Full 100 Duplex. So I changed it to Full 1000 Duplex (which is what it supports and our network is desgined for), and boom immediately lost conenction and the lights went out on the NIC. So apaprently it hates Full 1000 Duplex setting, but is OK with Full 100 Duplex. Is there a way to change the duplex setting from the service console?

0 Kudos
znet98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

check another side settings first, the switch side port settings.

cmd to change port settings is "esxcfg-nics -s 100 -d full vmnic0"

from the IBM image, x3200 should have 2 GB-port

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/resources/systems_x_hardware_tower_x3200m2_rear_x3200m2.jpg

mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The issue is probably on the switch side. Please telnet/ssh to your switch and set the NIC to Auto and then use your KVM/IP KVM to connect to the ESX console and use the following commnad:

/etc/init.d/network restart

This should reset your vnic and bring your interface up with 1000 MB full duplex.

Also, you an use the following command from your console to set the speed to 1000 MB full duplex:

ethtool -s vmnic(x) speed 1000 duplex full

Please consider awarding points if you find this post helpful.

0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor

Changing the speed and duplex via the service console got it working. Working with network engineers to get the port fixed on the switch,

thanks!

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am glad that it worked out for you. Please don't forget to award points if you found my post helpful.

Thanks,

Meraz

0 Kudos