VMware Cloud Community
nelmangle
Contributor
Contributor

NIC anomaly on HP DL580 onboard NICs

dear all,

I have just commenced the installation of 4xHP DL580s with ESX3.5 Update 1 and am unsure as to why the following has happened

each server has 2 onboard BroadCom nics PCI 06:00:00 and 08:00:00 respectively

3 of the servers have assigned VMNIC1 to PCI 06:00:00 and VNMIC0 to 08:00:00; VMNIC1 is the SC

1 of the server has assigned VMNIC0 to PCI 06:00:00 and VNMIC1 to 08:00:00; VMNIC0 is the SC

Can anyone shed light on this as i wish to (obvisously) have all servers built the same. Can i amend this setting anywhere and, in its current config. will i encounter issues with HA/Vmotion ???

all help appreciated

Nels

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

during the install did you change the network catd used during setup? Which ever network card you use there by default is adssigned VMNIC0 - then the remaining network cards are numbered

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
nelmangle
Contributor
Contributor

unfortunately someone else installed the servers in question, i found the anomaly when i was reviewing the builds.

Is the a config file on the esx host that can be amended ??

thanks

Nels

0 Kudos
bradley4681
Expert
Expert

normally during a default install on identical hardware it will name them all the same. however if during the install someone made a change during the network setup portion of the install, this can alter the naming of the cards. Perhaps someone thought that a particular nic should be the service console nic and tried to set the ip. it's not going to cause any problems with them named differently, however you can change the naming in /etc/vmware/config

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
nelmangle
Contributor
Contributor

thanks... the file in question is the esx.config file... but you pointed me in the right direction.

had to recreate the vSwitch afterwards just to make sure... but all seems good have checked on the console esxcfg-nics -l.

regards

Nels

0 Kudos
bradley4681
Expert
Expert

yeah i was going by memory, didn't have access to a console at the moment!

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos