VMware Cloud Community
tropix
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

NIC Teaming with more than 1 fisical switch.

hi all,

So, since to do a nic teaming using one fisical switch its only add another vmnic to a vSwitch. On ESX I dont made any config to failover works. All works fine.

But, I'm try to do a nic teaming with 2 vmnic using 2 fisical switches. I connect each vmnic to a different fisical switch on my LAN. I need to do a config on ESX box? I need to do a config on my fisical switches?

Regards,

Eduardo

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
5 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion

I think you don't need to do anything - but the best should be to test it.

ZMkenzie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Default behaviour in esx is to do a sort of "mac address balancing", so, it's not a real "teaming", a virtual machine is only on one port at a time so you wont need any special configuration on your switches.

dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You won't need to do anything unless you want to utilize multiple VLANs on each physical port. Then you will need to look into 802.1q or 802.3ad trunking.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There is nothing that needs to be done special to team across two physical switches.

0 Kudos
tropix
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Now works.

I'm using 2 D-Link DXS-33500SR. I have to configure link aggregation between the fisical ports used by vmnic0 and vmnic1.

I have to set up vSwitch0 properties on NIC Teaming (Load Balancing) Use explicit failover order and change Rolling Failover to YES.

On Aactive Adapter I put same order of D-Link, vmnic0 is master (or principal) to be used.

Thanks all.

Eduardo

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos