VMware Cloud Community
ted11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NFS and Vmotion gateway issue

Hi,

I am running ESX 3.0.0 and want to use an NFS share.

I currently have VMotion on a separate vSwitch and using a non routable address, 10.0.0.5 and gateway 10.0.0.1 .

However as the NFS server is on our production lan I created a new vSwitch and port group and used a production IP. ie 192.168.3.20 and gateway 192.168.3.1.

Here is my issue - when I edit the gateway for either of these two vmkernel ports it updates the gateway for the second port group also.

Can I have two different gateways - for VMotion and NFS port groups ?

I have the two vSwitches using two different physical nic's.

My service console is also on the production subnet.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No you can not have two different gateways - the question is do you really need a gateway for the VMotion. The gateway is used when you need to leave a network segment - so if all the ESX servers that you will VMotion between are on the same subnet 10.0.0.x - this is the preferred method for setting up a VMotion network - there will be no need for a gateway defined for the VMotion network and you can just set the gateway to 192.168.3.1 and all should work

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Good question, I don't work much with environments other then FC SAN but I always wondered about this question..

I'll be watching this thread in the background Smiley Happy

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No you can not have two different gateways - the question is do you really need a gateway for the VMotion. The gateway is used when you need to leave a network segment - so if all the ESX servers that you will VMotion between are on the same subnet 10.0.0.x - this is the preferred method for setting up a VMotion network - there will be no need for a gateway defined for the VMotion network and you can just set the gateway to 192.168.3.1 and all should work

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

"No you can not have two different gateways"....

Well that's was my conclusion as well, never needed 2 gateways however, but I found it rather strange that when changing one gateway the other changed aswell

ted11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are correct - I didn't need a gateway on the VMotion switch.

I found I had to set the VMotion gateway to blank and then I could add another VMkernel Port (in my case

I added it on the same vswitch as the console).

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos