VMware Cloud Community
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

My ESX host forgot its name

I notice today when I login to a host, the prompt no longer reads "root@esxhost1". It now reads "root@?". Any thoughts on how to fix this. I checked the /etc/sysconfig/network file and it looks correct. I have not rebooted the host as it ius in production.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

That's weird perhaps, what happen if you use "hostname esxnameindnsentry" and exit and log back in to see if it works? Does it reply with hostname if you do nslookup against it?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

what happens if you type hostname at the prompt?

0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

# hostname

?

#

Nice huh?

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

weird indeed.

what does DNS and Routing within the VIC show by name?

maybe restart hostd?

service mgmt-vmware restart

Do you have console access to see the main splash screen of the host?

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

That's weird perhaps, what happen if you use "hostname esxnameindnsentry" and exit and log back in to see if it works? Does it reply with hostname if you do nslookup against it?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This fixed it. Wonder why it was incorrect.

Thanks

Charles Killmer, VCP

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

be careful though, that may only be a temp fix.

Outlined in Changing the IP address, default gateway, and hostname of the Service Console in ESX 3.0.x

>Changing the hostname without rebooting

>To dynamically change the hostname, run the command:

>root@server root# hostname newname

>Note: This command creates a temporary hostname change. This change is lost when the system is rebooted

0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks, I will keep an eye on it when it reboots. Won't be an issue for long as we are preparing to upgrade to vSphere 4.

Charles Killmer, VCP

0 Kudos