VMware Cloud Community
Mike_Pownall
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple vswp files in VM's Datastore.

Hi,

I have noticed that we have multiple vswp files in the datastore area for one of our VM's.

Is this normal & can we delete the vswp.nnnnn ones?

Below is the directory listing.

VMNAME_1-flat.vmdk

VMNAME_1.vmdk

VMNAME-8bd2ff20.hlog

VMNAME-8bd2ff20.vswp

VMNAME-8bd2ff20.vswp.10362* *VMNAME-8bd2ff20.vswp.17426

VMNAME-flat.vmdk

VMNAME.nvram

VMNAME.vmdk

VMNAME.vmsd

VMNAME.vmx

VMNAME.vmxf

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dsseagren
Contributor
Contributor

Bump. I'm interested in this as well

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

When you power off the VM do those files remain? Are the time/date stamps current?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
dsseagren
Contributor
Contributor

one of them goes away but the other doesn't. the timestamp is from a couple months ago. The only thing I can think of is that it's from a vmotion or something.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I am assuming VMNAME-8bd2ff20.vswp is the one that goes away - which is what I expected. This is the per VM vmkernel swap file that gets created when the VM is powered on - you can delete the other two files -

0 Kudos
dsseagren
Contributor
Contributor

yes you are correct. the additional vswp file is named hostname-xxxxx.vswp.xxxxx. Any ideas on why this file exists? Is it from a vmotion that didn't cleanup?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

No vmotion would not cause this since the files do not move - I am thining that it might have occurred after a host crash - the file was present when the vm restarted so it renamed theoriginal and created a new one -

0 Kudos