VMware Cloud Community
onkelalbert
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Multiple VLAN IDs on one portgroup

Hi all

Is it possible to set multiple VLAN IDs (VLAN tagging) one one portgroup (not in a vSwitch)?

Thanx a lot for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As I recall that is not possible - you can only set one VLAN id per port group - you will have to create multiple port groups

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As I recall that is not possible - you can only set one VLAN id per port group - you will have to create multiple port groups

0 Kudos
chilow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In vCenter 4.0/ESX 4.0 you can have a VLAN trunking portgoup on a vDS, you can also use PVLANs with a vDS.

-C

KraL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

As mentionned above, it's not possible with Standard vSwitchs.

- If you tag at the portgroup level (Virtual Switch Tagging, VST mode), it's one VLAN per Port Group,

- If you tag at the Guest OS level (Virtual Guest Tagging, VGT mode), it's all VLAN only (ID 4095).

These two modes involve trunks mode on uplinks, so handled by the physical switchs.

You never define TAG directly on the vSwitch. The last mode (External Switch Tagging, EST mode), refer to an uplink in access mode.

Starting with 4.0, and with DvS (Ent +), you can manage vlans per portgroup and define vlan ranges.

I think with Nexus 1000V, you can even go further and define VLANs per port, like a classical switch.

Not sure about this last one, I have not yet had the opportunity to play with N1KV, but isn't it there just for that? Managing your vSwitch like a physical one?

0 Kudos