VMware Cloud Community
atbat08
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple Service Consoles

Hi,

I have two nic cards, nic0 and nic1. On each nic I have a service console on different networks.

SC1

SC2

On each nic the correct network VLAN is setup.

The problem is I can not ping the second service console from each ESX server. I have the default gateway set to 10.55.10.1. I can ping the 10.54.34.50 address from anywhere on the network.

Any advice?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmtechie
Contributor
Contributor

Why are you using two sc? is it for reduntancy?

atbat08
Contributor
Contributor

No, I am moving the service console over to the 10.55.10.x network and will eventually remove the 10.54.34.x service console. I just need to first get the second service console operational.

0 Kudos
will_barley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

atbat08,

can you log into the Service Console and post the output of the following 3 commands:

esxcfg-vswif -l

esxcfg-vswitch -l

route

First off, its much easier to bond 2 NICs for Service Console redundancy than to configure two Service Consoles on separate vSwitches on separate subnets, though it can be possible.

Post those commands and i'll get back to you.

atbat08
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help but I found that the network guy did not setup the proper vlan.

0 Kudos
will_barley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

well, that will certainly get you.

Make sure the packets are actually being tagged; i've seen situations in which they're not tagged, and then you label your port group to use a certain VLAN, and you get no communication across ESX hosts on that portgroup because the packets have not actually been tagged for the VLAN number you setup.

Good luck.

0 Kudos