VMware Cloud Community
pmonfiletto
Contributor
Contributor

Moving to new datastore

I was running low on disk space in my datastore where I store all of my vm's. I created a new lun (cx300 SAN) with an additional 200GB of space. I shut down each vm and did a dmotion to the new lun leaving the machines on the same host.

I got to the last 6 machines and when I went to move the next one, I now get a out of disk space error

It seems that the raw lun map files are huge (500gb on this one machine alone) so they are unable to copy to the new lun

FYI, running Esx 3.02 with VC 2.02

Questions?

How was the entire system able to run and store on the old store at 800GB but not copy to a new 1+TB store?

How do I eliminate the problem so I can move my remaining machines to the new store?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

FYI: this thread has been moved to the ESX Server 3.x Configuration forum.

Oliver

VMTN User Moderator

0 Kudos
pmonfiletto
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that if you move a VM that has a RDM, it converts the RDM to a vmdk. Just brilliant.

The good news is I only have backup the 2 drives that have been converted so far, delete the new vmdk, restore the RDM and then restore the changed files back to the RDM.

Lesson learned, if you want to migrate data to a new datastore and you have RDM's, remove the link to the RDM prior to the move and then relink after.

0 Kudos
lukas_radil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

When You are usimg RDM the mapped devices are represented by vmdk files. These files dont using real space from datastore. If you want to be sure how much space is free on your datastore simply type vdf -h on service console. If this command says that on the Datastore is not free space you must find which new data are stored here and delete it. But rememeber that rdm vmdk files dont represent real data.

Lukas

0 Kudos