VMware Cloud Community
Friendlyware
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving VMs to different datastore - Infrastructure Foundation

I am trying to move VMs on an ESX 3.5 server to a different datastore on a NAS. I only have infrastructure foundation w/o VMotion.

How can I accomplish this?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You don't see the migrate option because you are connected directly to the ESX host. You have to connect to a vc to get the migrate option. If you don't have a VC, then I would recommend using VMware converter. It is very simple to use, and works very well. There are other, more manual methods, but none as simple as using converter.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have VirtualCenter, you can shutdown the VM, then right click and select Migrate. That will start a wizard. You'll be able to keep the same ESX host as the destination, and on one of the screens you'll be able to select a new datastore.

0 Kudos
Friendlyware
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi

Thanks for the answer, I don't have the "migrate" option. Please find attached screenshot which shows my options as a word doc.

thanks.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You don't see the migrate option because you are connected directly to the ESX host. You have to connect to a vc to get the migrate option. If you don't have a VC, then I would recommend using VMware converter. It is very simple to use, and works very well. There are other, more manual methods, but none as simple as using converter.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Friendlyware
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, I am connected using the VMware Infrastructure Client. So what I need is VC, which I don't think is part of the license with Infrastructure Foundation. I have been using the converter and it is working, but slow.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
adolopo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can also use "vmkfstools" and put the job in the background with "&".

bernd2nd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

With Infrastructure Foundation i think you should have the foundation license which can be used for VirtualCenter 2.5.

The Foundation license allows VC to manage three ESX host.

Checkout the license portal. VirtualCenter is really a tool you should use.

0 Kudos
JRink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I personally wouldnt bother with VC if you have a single esx host.

1. vmkfstools -i src dest

2. vmconverter

3. fastscp (the NEW version so it preallocates disk space)

Those are three options you have.... all will work. I find it easiest to just use vmfkstools. Convertor is nice if you want to resize disks at the same time.... FastSCP is nice if you want an offline backup of the file at the same time....

Pick your poison.

JR

Friendlyware
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you everyone for the responses.. JRink has nicely summerised my options as I don't really want to use VC with a single esx host. I tried 2 and 3 and they are working fine. Will try option 1 next week.

Thanks again to all participants.

0 Kudos