Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving VM (using RDM) to other host

Hi all

Configuration:

- host: ESX1, ESX2 (ESX 3.5)

- no VC / HA

- FC storage HP EVA4100

- VM1 Windows 2003 running on ESX1 and using a VMFS volume for C: and a RDM disk on storage for 😧 (NTFS)

- the VMFS LUN is presented to ESX1 and ESX2 (same LUN ID)

- the RDM LUN is presented only to ESX1 (LUN ID 2)

How should I configure host and storage for running VM1 from ESX2 ?

Step:

- shutdown VM1 from ESX1

- present LUN to ESX2

- rescan disk ESX2

- create a new VM1b on ESX2

- add the RDM disk to VM

- startup VM1b

Right ?

Can I leave the RDM LUN presented to ESX2 if the VM1b is down ?

Many thanks to all !

Max

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is your VMFS LUN where the C: Drive is stored? Because if it is on the shared LUN than it is very easy - just unregister your VM - this can be can done with the VI Client by right clicking on the vm and remove from inventory and a word of warning DO NOT Delete from Disk - then from the other host browse the datastore where the VM is stored and register the VMX file -

If the VM is not stored on shared storage than the steps you do outline should work - but in either case the Raw LUN needs to be presented to both hosts and yes you can leave the Raw LUN presented to ESX2

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is your VMFS LUN where the C: Drive is stored? Because if it is on the shared LUN than it is very easy - just unregister your VM - this can be can done with the VI Client by right clicking on the vm and remove from inventory and a word of warning DO NOT Delete from Disk - then from the other host browse the datastore where the VM is stored and register the VMX file -

If the VM is not stored on shared storage than the steps you do outline should work - but in either case the Raw LUN needs to be presented to both hosts and yes you can leave the Raw LUN presented to ESX2

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Astro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks !

The C: drive and the VM1 files are on the LUN VMFS. Only the 😧 drive (second disk of the VM) is a RDM.

And...if in the future I will install VC and HA, how should configure the presentation and the hosts for correct failover of VM1 to ESX2 ?

Regards

Max

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VC acts as a proxy so it will see what the hosts its management see - so for things like HA/DRS and VMotion both hosts need to see the same resources the VM uses - so both hosts will need to see the LUNs the vm uses including the VMFS datastores and the Raw LUNs (what you have been calling the RDM) -

The current issue at hand - as lon

Astro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks

But your answer is partially truncated...

Max

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sorry - I thinkthis is what I neabt to say -

VC acts as a proxy so it will see what the hosts its management see - so for things like HA/DRS and VMotion both hosts need to see the same resources the VM uses - so both hosts will need to see the LUNs the vm uses including the VMFS datastores and the Raw LUNs (what you have been calling the RDM) -

The current issue at hand - as long as the VMs and their storage ar estored on shared LUNs seen by both hosts you will be bale to do HA/DRS/Vmotion -