VMware Cloud Community
Exacent
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving VM to another cluster

I have resources HIGH on a cluster and would like to move a couple vm's from once cluster to another cluster in another datacenter. Has anyone had any exp transferring large VM files. WinSCP??? these will have to be off obviously...

Any thoughts

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes. You can have the source as a physical computer (powered on VM) or VMware Infrastructure VM (Powered Off VM). Once the VM is moved into the new environment, power it on, and delete the old.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If they are with in the same VC environemnt why not cold migrate between datacenters?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Exacent
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

different environments/virtual centers.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

....and if this datacenter is not part of the same vCenter instance, then your best bet would be to use VMware Converter.

Exacent
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how does that work, will I just import the machine?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes. You can have the source as a physical computer (powered on VM) or VMware Infrastructure VM (Powered Off VM). Once the VM is moved into the new environment, power it on, and delete the old.

0 Kudos
Exacent
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy,

Here is the plan as of now, let me know if you see me hitting a glacier:

• Building a new cluster in the same DC

• expose the hosts in the new cluster to the existing clusters LUNS.

• Power off VM, restart/migrate it to the new host in the new cluster

• remove luns from cluster

- writing this I realized I will need to create a new lun and migrate the vm to the new lun since the existing luns will be from the old cluster and going away....

Let me know if you have any thoughts on this...

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Exacent
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sent you a PM about this..

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

At a high level that should do it -

0 Kudos
Exacent
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

and there is no risk in exposing a LUN with VM's on it to a new host? no risk of over-writing the LUN?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

your esx host should recognize that a VMFS filesystem is existing and will recognize it -

0 Kudos