VMware Cloud Community
ThorpeN
Contributor
Contributor

Moving VM's between Datacenters across a WAN ?

Hello,

I have a live ESX environment and a DR/UAT environment - both in seperate physical locations connected by a WAN. We have a management link between the two so that the Virtual Center in the Live environment can access and manage the DR/UAT environment.

I have a VM in the live environment that I need to move to the DR/UAT envrionment - can I just drag and drop into the DR/UAT Data Center in VC? How the VC move this server ? will it utilise the Management Link or do I need to setup a seperate link (with bigger capacity)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mail_vijayar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Thropen,

Can u explain more on the ESX setup at teh DR site, it is always recommended to create a seperate port groups for teh migration (hot or cold) which would not choke the bandwidth of your management network.

Regards,

Vijay

Regards, Vijay .A .R
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If all of your ESX hosts are within the same "datacenter" in vc, then you can move files between them. The problem here is will depend on the speed and latency of your link of your WAN. It may cause timeouts and the migration to fail. You can increase the timeouts associated with those type of transactions, but I'd try to migrate first and see if it succeeds before changing any timeouts.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Solfoit1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello ThorpeN

Or you can gzip the virtual machine, copy zip/tar file other server with scp. unpack the zip file Import the virtual machine with a different name and start the virtual machine..

The amount of data that will be copied is much less than the whole virtual machine.

With kind regards,

Ruud

0 Kudos
brini
Contributor
Contributor

It may cause timeouts and the migration to fail.

You can increase the timeouts associated with those type of transactions

Could you please explain how to increase the timeout ?

When trying to move a VM from a datacenter to another through an 50Mbps MPLS link using the "migrate" function, the operation starts and then stops because of timeout.

Note: I confirm that scp the zip file works fine.

0 Kudos
FutbolFan
Contributor
Contributor

You might want to try using HyperIP software from NetEx to accelerate the VM move across the WAN and eliminate the timeouts. I know someone who is doing this with good results. Apparently they have a free trial of the software on their web site:

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You dig up an eight month old thread so that the second post you've ever made here can be a link to the same third party product you tried to flog in your only other post on this forum?

Nobody click the link - no sense supporting a spammer.

0 Kudos