VMware Cloud Community
SmitheySA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving VM's across VMFS Storage Drives

Hello

I need to move x amount of m$ vm's from one vmfs storage group to another on a shared disk system.

Everything is configured ok, my problem is with the move. When i open the vm's files in storage explorer i get the drop down to move the files to another disk system. This works fine. However when i try to start the vm on the new storage, it refuses to start. When i edit the settings of the vm, the vmdk is still pointing to the old disk system.

What is the correct procedure to move the vm's from old to new vmfs disk systems.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

preferred methods are:

- storage vmotion

- cold migration (vmotion when VM is shutdown)

Both are valid options. If you can afford downtime and don't have enough diskspace for snapshots etc I would recommend cold migration. But you can avoid downtime by using SVMotion.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - If you have vCenter you can cold migrate the VMs which will allow you to move where the VMs are stored and modify the VMs vmx (configuration) file to point to the new location of the VMDK file - if you do not have vCenter then it will be a rather manual process - where you will have to manually reconfigure the ocnfiguration file to point to the new location of the storage -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

preferred methods are:

- storage vmotion

- cold migration (vmotion when VM is shutdown)

Both are valid options. If you can afford downtime and don't have enough diskspace for snapshots etc I would recommend cold migration. But you can avoid downtime by using SVMotion.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have vCenter then you should "migrate VM" to another datastore.

---

VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
SmitheySA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks gents. VMotion will do the job perfectly. I havent used VI in quite a while and seems that i need some brushing up on the skills.

Thanks for the quick answers Smiley Wink

0 Kudos