VMware Cloud Community
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving VM's Created in ESX2.x to ESX 3.0.1 managed by Virtual Centre 2

Hi there,

Im looking to move some VM's created under ESX2.x and then load them up on an ESX 3.x box managed by virtual centre 2. Just wondering if anyone has got some suggestions as to the best way of doing it.

I've tried copying the files to a windows box using winscp3 but when it gets to about 99% it fails to copy the last bit....

So wondering how to get the files onto the new server and then once I've got them there - what do I need to do inorder to make them work under the new environment.

Hope someone can help.

Regards

Dave

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Dave,

You might want to take a look at VMware Converter product: http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

For your file copy if you check the size of the file at the destination it is the same size as the source? If there's a permissions issue, then the file will copy completely, but fail to be renamed from the .filepart extension.

Once you have the VMDK file copied you could create a new VM and specify that it uses the existing disk file. You'll then want to right click on the VM and select upgrade hardware. That said, the Converter might be an easier option for you.

PS - when you create a post, you'll probably want to mark it as a question: http://www.vmware.com/community/help.jspa#questionrp

0 Kudos
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've tried using VMware converter but it says no esx is listening on a port - I have tried port 902 which I can connect to the server using gsx server console for example. Is there a command under esx for me to check which port the server is listening on??

I will double check the file size - i suppose I could just use chmod to change the file permissions??

Thanks for the quick reply.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Regards

Dave

0 Kudos
Raymond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

Do you still have ESX 2.x up and running or are these VMs off on their own.

What I have done is added the ESX 2.x server to my VC 2 and then power off the VMs on the ESX 2.x server and just migrate that way. It works really well the only thing you need to do is upgrade virtual hardware(not sure on that part) and update VMware tools.

The other thing is have you tried to use FastSCP by Veeam?

0 Kudos
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is FastSCP the same as winscp??

0 Kudos
bigvee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same maker, different product I think.

FastSCP lets you perform su's and such, just something to make life easier.

0 Kudos
Vandalay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did the same thing here. Bring them both up in VC, click and drag. Piece of cake. Virtual Hardware and VMTools upgrade will be requried after.

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

This is exactly what I have done as well and didn't run into any issues. If you don't have enough licenses you can either temporarily disconnect other hosts (if you have some) or see if you can get an eval license....?

0 Kudos
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice - I've still got the vm running on a 2.x esx box - i will add the server into vc2 and drag and drop the vm from one virtual server to another....

My virtual centre is going to be on a different site i.e different location connected via a LES10 BT circuit - i could take the server to the site where my esx2 box is for the moving of the vm from one server to another....

would it affect the virtual centre when I take the server back to the normal location it will be at?

What Im trying to say is that is the IP information of the Virtual centre recorded in the database?

0 Kudos
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One other thing....

How is it possible to upgrade the virtual hardware and vmware tools - is that just a right click on the vm and then upgrade hardware and vmware tools?

Regards

DAve

0 Kudos
bigvee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

upgrade the hardware is a right click

Install the tools is a right click too but you have to go into the VM to accept the options and such

0 Kudos