VMware Cloud Community
shankar01
Contributor
Contributor

Module not found!!!

Hi Friends,

I am new to this technology and I want to install vmware ESX3.5 on SATA drive. But after few steps we need to select module driver but that is not working. Find the attached system config.

Please help me to resolve the issue.

Thanks-

Shankar

0 Kudos
8 Replies
shankar01
Contributor
Contributor

means I want to install esx server on SATA drive for my lab.

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Perhaps your device not in VMware supported hardware check list (HCL) for ESX 3.5. Solution, get supported one.

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
thecakeisalie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The existing driver doesn't support ICH8, which is why you're getting "module not found" when trying to install.

This question should be posted to the Community Supported Hardware Forum (CSHWSW)

For reference, here is the list of certified [Intel SATA controllers|http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?action=search&deviceCategory=io&productId=1&advancedORbasic=advanced&maxDisplayRows=50&key=intel+sata&release[]=-1&datePosted=-1&vid=&did=&svid=&ssid=&rorre=0]

0 Kudos
shankar01
Contributor
Contributor

So, what should we do next to install esx3.5 on this drive??

0 Kudos
shankar01
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Friends,

I am very new to this technology, so help me to install ESX3.5 server on my mentioned drive.

Thanks-

Shankar

0 Kudos
thecakeisalie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Shankar01,

I should clarify my previous post, the controller appearing in the 'device list' in your document indicates you are using unsupported hardware, as it hasn't been certified by the vendor to work with ESX.

In my previous post, I suggested the "Community supported hardware" forum, which is designed to provide support by the community for unsupported hardware configurations. I would recommend engaging them to assist you with this lab installation to see if they can provide recommendations and information for you regarding the unsupported controller in your server to get ESX installed on this machine.

0 Kudos
shankar01
Contributor
Contributor

I think I am using SATA drive and that is not supported. So I need to use IDE drive or sata to ide converter.

Please correct me if this is not the case.

Thanks-

Shankar

0 Kudos
thecakeisalie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is actually the controller that you are plugging the SATA disks into that is not supported. If you purchase a supported disk controller, the SATA disks you are using will likely work for the installation of the operating system, but will not work for creating a VMFS volume.

To find a disk controller that will function correctly with ESX or ESXi, refer to the Hardware Compatibility Guide

0 Kudos