VMware Cloud Community
zayin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Missing features.. :S

Hi all,

I have recently installed ESX 3.5 for the first time and am looking through the package, and noticed that I'm missing a few things..

I'm trying to schedule automated snapshots of certain servers, but all I can see on the nav bar is either Inventory or Administration.

I don't have any other options.

I'm thinking it might be something as easy as right clicking and selecting what you want to see there, but that didn't really seem to work..

I had a look at this website:

Which seems to have a lot more options on its bar..

Is it something I can get or are these additional packages I need to buy?

Surely not the latter!

Anyway, if anyone could help, it'd be great.

Thanks kindly.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wpatton
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No, the agent just enables ESX to be connected to VC.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums - What you are seeing is the options that are available to you when you manage an ESX server directly - The options your are seeing on the virtualizationadmin site is when you are managing ESX through Virtual Center - to do things like scheduled tasks you will need to manage your ESX server through Virtual Center - wo yes you will need to buy Virtual Center Management Server -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
wpatton
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What you are looking for are the options available through Virtual Center. It is a product and license that you must purchase.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
zayin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hhm okay..

I actually have vmware infrastructure enterprise..

Does this give me access to virtual center?

0 Kudos
shamim-a
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You logged into ESX host directly, in that u will get only Inventory & Administration.

Did u install virtual center in your environmnet?

The images whcih u r seeing in the mentioned link, is from Virtual Center window.

Shamim

http:://vmwareblogs.blogspot.com

wpatton
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VirtualCenter is licensed seperately, with Enterprise you are 100% ready for ALL features that it enables.

Good info:

0 Kudos
zayin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It would seem as if though I have not -- how do I install it?

0 Kudos
zayin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I do what I'm trying to do using virtual center agent, or do I need to buy the virtual center server?

It seems as if though the agent might be part of the package I bought ..

If that's the case, does this need to be enabled with the lisence file I received, or is it an application I can download?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VirtualCenter can be downloaded, but it isn't included with your ESX Enterprise license. Its about $5K list.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No, the agent just enables ESX to be connected to VC.

0 Kudos