VMware Cloud Community
MarkGeorge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Missing disk space?

Ok so I've got a new server with a 5TB RAID 5 array and I've setup two VD's, 1 @ 500gb and the other @ 3.5tb. Installed VMWare ESX 3.5 into the 500gb and planned on using the 3.5tb as a giant file store. Go to add the new storage and while it shows the disk as 3.16tb in size it'll only give me 1.16tb to play with? Any ideas or suggestions on this would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bhadzik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check out this url

http://pubs.vmware.com/vi35/config_max/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=config_max&file...

2TB is the maximum volume size. You can have vmfs span multiple volumes with extents, but usually better just too create 2 seperate vmfs.

The size discrepancy could have something to do with lying drive manufactures. They consider one gigabyte as a billion bits, instead of its actual value of a bit more than that. What do you mean when you say "to play with" is that the size of the volume that it says when you go to create the vmfs?

0 Kudos
MarkGeorge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It recognises it as a 3.16tb drive (almost 400g less than what it should) and that only 1.16tb is available. I'll break it up into a couple of smaller drives and see what result that gives.

0 Kudos