VMware Cloud Community
ANSA
Expert
Expert

Migration from 2.5 to 3.5

I am considering using VMware Converter for moving VMs on an ESX 2.5 host to an ESX 3.5 host

I would like to know if any one has done this, and if so, if the VM hardwae and VM Tools were upgraded in the process

Thanks for any feedback

0 Kudos
6 Replies
paulkbeyer
Contributor
Contributor

Hiya,

I've not done this exact move you're asking about, but once you're on 3.5 with your migrated guest you can set the guest to automatically have the tools upgraded when the machine powers on:-

Edit Settings | Options | VMware Tools | Advanced | Check and Upgrade VMware Tools before each power-on

Hope this helps chap!

Paul.

0 Kudos
genaro
Contributor
Contributor

Simply copy the entire folder where the virtual machine live from 2.5 to 3.5 using winscp (from windows) or using scp (from esx console). After it create a new virtual machine with other name and move the .vmdk to the new folder location.

Or... Use vmware converter taking as phisical de virtual machine from the 2.5.

0 Kudos
paulkbeyer
Contributor
Contributor

Umm ..

I suggest you don't use SCP/WinSCP to CREATE the new machines on the 3.5 host as suggested by genaro. Use the VI client to upload the data to the new datastores or if working from the Service consoles get yourself scp access to the old host from the new one and use vmkfstools -i source2.5esximage destination3.5esxdatastore.

Using scp or cp in the service console to manipulate vmdk files doesn't do cool things when it comes to allocating space in a nice and uniform manner on your datastore. (I'm sure there's a more deep technical description somewhere but I can't remember what it is right now, just that using cp and scp for working with VMDK files is not cool.

The convertor method will be just fine as it's performing the same functions as the VIClient/vmkfstools command on the destination datastore.

Cheers

Paul.

0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

Currently using Converter 3.0.3 standalone to migrate ESX 2.5.x guests to ESX 3.5 hosts.

The wizard is straight forward - log into source, chose guest to migrate, log into destination, choose host & LUN, migrate.

A couple of gotchas - guest has to be turned off (at least with the license we have) and the migration takes a while depending on the LUNs, network and disk sizes of the guests. The wizard recognizes the different disks and moves those. We have a couple larger databases (over 500 GB) that we need to migrate and I am curious if we'll end up with time outs but so far, no problems - average migration = 1 minuter per 1 GB disk.

You have the option to install VMware tools, the servers are upgraded to VMFS 3 and you do have the option to customize the migration - change disk size and other parameters. We haven't test the configuration options as our focus is to complete the upgrade ASAP.

Message was edited by: mikepodoherty - forgot to report on VMware tools, hardware upgrades - added to posting

0 Kudos
chill
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When using VMWare Converter you can easily move VM's from 2.5 to 3.5. it updates the hardware, you can install VMWare Tools, you can move between ESX boxes, without having to have shared storage. It's a great tool and works great for P2V also.

If you find this information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.

If you find this information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
ponpalani2001
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I have done migration of ESX 2.5 to 3.5 using VMware convertor, we have done almost for 120vm's. Vm hardware is upgraded automatically during the conversion process. For VMware tools there is an option which you neeed to select during the convertor startup process otherwise upgrade ti manually

0 Kudos