VMware Cloud Community
sposada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migration esx

Hello,

I intalled an esx 3.5 boot from a EVA SAN Lun, i need migrate esx to IBM DS8100, someone have any idea how can do this???

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, that is why I asked about vCenter.

I would suggest the same approach, move vm's off of one host, remove it from the cluster, shutdown, zone in new storage and boot off of new LUN, rebuild, join to cluster, and migrate vm's, and then repeat with other hosts. It's a long-winded process, but it would be safer, and will give you a chance to upgrade/update if you haven't had a chance to do that yet.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
espi3030
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Your SAN team should be able to help you with this if they have the ability to do snapshots at the SAN level. I am in the middle of the same thing except I have too many LUN's and VM's for snapshots, so I have to do cold migrations for the VM's and all my boot LUN's I am just re-installing the ESX OS on the new SAN.

Hope this helps!

kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since they are different vendors, replication won't get you there the easy way.

It will be easier to build a new ESX server booting from the IBM, and then migrate the virtual machines.

Do you have virtual center or are you using stand-alone ESX environment? VC will make things easier if you have it.

-KjB

sposada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I´m ussing VC, i migrated allVM to the new DataStore without problem.

I have a Cluster with 7 ESX, i think the best way will install new ESX, shutdown one ESX of Cluster and include the new ESX on HA.

What do you think???

Thanks for response

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, that is why I asked about vCenter.

I would suggest the same approach, move vm's off of one host, remove it from the cluster, shutdown, zone in new storage and boot off of new LUN, rebuild, join to cluster, and migrate vm's, and then repeat with other hosts. It's a long-winded process, but it would be safer, and will give you a chance to upgrade/update if you haven't had a chance to do that yet.

-KjB

0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, if you get issues with replication of the ESX boot partitions then take a look at thisthread on restoring ESX configuration http://communities.vmware.com/message/1133079#1133079

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil