VMware Cloud Community
ChiBoy
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating guests times out at 99% (Virtual Center 2.0.1)

I am consistently having issues migrating a guest from one ESX 3.0.1 host to another 3.01 host via Virtual Center 2.01. These are cold migrations, I am not using vmotion. The migration times out at 99%. There is no additional information in the event logs of the server running VC.

I am having this problem with 2 guests. I have been successful migrating 2 others after numerous attempts. It also appears that the migration is taking longer than in previous 1.x version of VC.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
earactingi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you checked the default gateway for VMKernel on both ESX hosts?

0 Kudos
ChiBoy
Contributor
Contributor

The VMKernel default gateway is grayed out, but I do have the service console gateway configured correctly. Both hosts are on the same subnet.

In digging a bit further, when the migration times out, there is a file being created (host--> configuration tab --> porperties of the storage device) as: servername\servername-flat.vmdk. It is taking up disk space on my host, however the guest doesnt appear in the console and this is the only file in the directory, whereas a successful migration shows numerous files (.vmdk, .log, .vmx, .vmxf).

All the guests were initially created on a ESX 2.x host.

0 Kudos
encode
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm having this problem at the moment, except with ESX 3.0.1 hosts.

0 Kudos