VMware Cloud Community
Arnaud_Massias
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating from ESX 3.0.1 to 3.5

Hi,

First post on this forum, so happy to enter the community and thanks for your contributions to my questions!

I have 2 ESX server 3.0.1 linked to a EMC CX300 with several Virtual Machines. I want to migrate to Esx 3.5 Update 1, and then patch the machines.

I have read several documentations from VMWare and several post about the way of updating my server, but I have still unsolved questions :

- there are 2 solutions to migrate : Burn the iso ESX 3.5 and boot on it, then update or download the VMware-esx-updgrade-from-esx3-3.5.0-64607a.zip and the apply esxupdate. What is the best practice? Which solution is the best?

- My servers are not recently patched (shame on me!!). Do I have to patch my ESX 3.0.1 with all the patch before upgrading?

- I have ESX Standard, and so not vmotion. The upgrading documentation is not taking in account my configuration exactly, so I just want ot know if I have the right process in mind : 1) stop the virtual machine 2) upgrade from Esx3.0.1 to 3.5. 3) restart my virtual machines (i think I don't have to update datastore, true?) 4) Upgrade VMwaretools for each VM

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Best regards.

Arnaud

0 Kudos
5 Replies
VMKR9
Expert
Expert

For only having 2 servers I would just use the CD, you do not need to patch it first, just boot of the cd and select upgrade.

Yes shutdown the vms first and once the upgrade is complete update vmtools, you don't have to do anything to the datastores

Arnaud_Massias
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thanks for your answer. I 'll try that.

Just a last question : there are no information about licencing when upgrading. Is-it necessary to purchase another licence file even if I have subscribed the maintenance on the software?

Arnaud

0 Kudos
VMKR9
Expert
Expert

No need to change the license so thats fine too.

Please award points if I was helpfull

Thanks

Arnaud_Massias
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks VMKR9. I will simultate a migration first to see if everything is ok, and then migrate the production servers.

Best regards

0 Kudos
VMKR9
Expert
Expert

good idea, safety first Smiley Wink

0 Kudos