VMware Cloud Community
billburnett
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating Virtual Machine

I have two ESX 3.5 servers of exactly the same hardware and version of ESX. I have a management server running VM Infrasructure 2.5.0. For Reference we will use ESX1 for server one and ESX2 for server 2. I created two virtual machines on ESX1. Both started and ran fine. I tried to migrate virtualmachine2 to ESX2 and it gets to 99% and then gives me a time out error. I tried several times yesterday. Poking around ESX2 under /vmfs/volumes/esx1/ I saw directories called Test Server 2, Test Server 1, Test Server2 all the way to Test Server_6. Each one of these corresponding to a failed attempted. I deleted all of the directories. Next I created a vm on ESX2 called test 3. It ran and operated fine. I migrated test 3 from ESX2 to ESX 1 and it finished fine. Thinking prehaps it was something with the vm I tried to migrate test 3 back to ESX2 and it gets to 99% and fails saying Operation Timed Out. It looks like all the files get copied it just never completes the process and adds the VM to the new server.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
0 Replies