VMware Cloud Community
Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migrating DHCP Server to VMware

Hi,

I've a bit of a problem here so would appreciate any help!! I just migrated one of our DHCP servers to a VM and all looked good until I checked the migrated VM's DHCP. The scopes did not migrate over. Is this something that needs to be done manually?

Thanks,

Pedro

0 Kudos
10 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

http://communities.vmware.com/message/853389

**If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for

"Correct" or "Helpful"**

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You migrated an entire server, or just moved the DHCP database over? If you migrated the server everything should be there.

If not you probably want to read this: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows2000/en/advanced/help/sag_DHCP_tro_MovingDatabaseToNewServer...

0 Kudos
DanDill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you changed the IP of the machine I could see DHCP getting cranky with that.

On the migration I've always found it easier to bring a new machine online and then phase over, though it sounds like it's too late for that...

0 Kudos
JazzFromHell
Contributor
Contributor

No, the scope is a integral part of the DHCP, the mac address will be different on the VM, this could cause the scope to deactivate

0 Kudos
Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I migrated a full server over. I had to rollback to the physical box last night due to the issues encountered.

Should I import the DHCP scopes manually next time or should they just migrate into the VM automatically.

Note - I didn't change the IP address or name of the server.

Thanks for your help,

Pedro

0 Kudos
Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DHCP was empty. There was no sign of any scopes which is strage.

Can yo think of any reason why the scopes did not migrate?

0 Kudos
JazzFromHell
Contributor
Contributor

what os is on the server and how are you migrating into esx

0 Kudos
Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The OS is Windows 2003 Standard & I'm using VM Converter version 4 for the migration.

0 Kudos
JazzFromHell
Contributor
Contributor

stop the dhcp server service before you migrate

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I posted the steps on how to do this, all you have to do is stop the DHCP service on the Physical box, then move the database over (its like 4 meg or less...) and copy to the DHCP folder on the VM. That's it.

ALL your scopes, machines, IP reservations everything will be there. It's a snap, just follow the directions I posted.

0 Kudos