VMware Cloud Community
msoutherland
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating 3 VMware servers to new data center on a different SAN

I need some ideas. Here is the scenario.

I have a 3 server VMware deployment utilizing a FC EMC SAN. The company is closing it's doors at this facility and wants to move the VMware servers to a new data center up north.

Only the VMware servers are being moved. They will use a new SAN at the new data center. We could use VCB to migrate the VM's, but the new data center does not support our backup software. Anybody have any ideas on the best way to backup the data for the VM's and restore it to the new data center?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

1. Setup and test new data center.

2. Export VMs using converter.Store on USB devices.

3. Ship overnight to new datacenter.

4. Import into new ESX environment.

There will be a window where your systems are offline, you can stager change if you like. In my experince the big file network transfers seldom work out without a dedicated line.

msoutherland
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Lightbulb. Sounds like my only option.

Mark

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You have other "cooler" options but they usually take a lot of money and work and time to setup. They also tend not to work in which case some non-technical person who can fire you will wonder why you did not just ship it all FedEX Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
msoutherland
Contributor
Contributor

I agree. The key here is 'cheap' They have very limited money and I have warned them about going the cheap route. We shal see. Thanks for the info!

Mark

0 Kudos
derekn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Might be a dumb question, but can you move the new SAN to your location then migrate the datastore? I assume this won't work because of physicality issues (is that a word?) but I thought I'd ask.

You can never assume anything.

-go easy

-go easy
0 Kudos
msoutherland
Contributor
Contributor

The new location is a colo facitily in Chicago. So, unfortunately we can't do that.

Mark

0 Kudos
derekn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well then I agree with what Lightbulb is recommending.

Otherwise backup VM's onto a NAS, then replicate onto new SAN.

Not sure what backup utilities you are using, but Veeam or Ranger should do this fine.

-go easy

-go easy
0 Kudos