VMware Cloud Community
craigal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migrate VMs from non responsive host

I have a VMWare ESX (3.5 Update 1) host that is not responding to virtual centre or from the VI client. I am unable to even SSH or even log into the console. I need to reboot the server to fix the problem.

The VMs on this Host are still running properly so I can reboot the host whenever I like.

There were some VMs on this host that are powered off. I was able to migrate these VMs to another host using virtual center.

I logged into another VM using RDP and shut it down. However, Virtual Center does not know that the VM is off so it will not let me migrate it to another host. Is there a way of forcing a VM to startup on another host after I have shut it down. If there is then I mgrate the VMs one at a time, rather than having to shut them all down at the same time and then reboot the host.

Craig

0 Kudos
4 Replies
A13xxx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you say the VC doesnt know its off, have you tried restarting the VC? i had this annoying issue ages ago and restarting the services fixed it.

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hey

I have a VMWare ESX (3.5 Update 1) host that is not responding to virtual centre or from the VI client. I am unable to even SSH or even log into the console. I need to reboot the server to fix the problem.

Are you able to log on via an out-of-band card, i.e. iLo, DRAC etc or directly at the server to troubleshoot?

The VMs on this Host are still running properly so I can reboot the host whenever I like.

If you reboot the host, your VM's will shutdown aswell. Do you have HA configured? If so then, the VM's will reboot onto the remaining ESX hosts.

There were some VMs on this host that are powered off. I was able to migrate these VMs to another host using virtual center.

I logged into another VM using RDP and shut it down. However, Virtual Center does not know that the VM is off so it will not let me migrate it to another host. Is there a way of forcing a VM to startup on another host after I have shut it down. If there is then I mgrate the VMs one at a time, rather than having to shut them all down at the same time and then reboot the host.

You may want to reboot VC just as suggested, just in case theres an issue there. But as your having difficulty in logging on directly to the host, sounds like there maybe an underlying issue with the ESX host.

If you're able to migrate vm's powered off, whats stopping you from vmotioning? Or has this not been setup?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

have you checked the network cabling. I have had a similar situation where one of the onboard ports was loose as the cabled had been pulled out and if I connected a laptop and cross over cable the port restarted. You could also login using the VI client to check the settings are OK or add another SC port. VM's that were powered off could be migrated by removing from inventory and then reregistering with another host.

0 Kudos
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hi,

As yousay that the machine is not allowing you to access from ssh and still the virtual machines are communicating perfectly.

This might be any issue with the service console network you are trying to connect.

I would suggest to go to the machine physically and try to perform a service network restart. and also do a mgmt-vmware restart.

then try to connect the machine via ssh , to ensure your machine is communicating on the network.

then try to add the machine to vc.

-Karunakar

0 Kudos