VMware Cloud Community
atzi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migrate VM with RDMs to new datastore

Hi guys!

I would like to migrate a VM with physical RDMs to a new datastore.

When i go thru the migration wizard everything is ok. After the migration starts i get an error (see attached screenshot).

On the target vmfs volume are 93 GB free. The Virtual Disk of the VM has 15 GB. The RDMs (all SAN disks) has between 2 GB and 1,9 TB.

Why can't i migrate this VM to a new datastore?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tgradig
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When migrating with an RDM attached, VC will try to convert the RDM to vmfs. I'm sure your running out of space. What we do it un-attach the RDM from the guest, migration the virtual disk over to the new LUN and re-attach the RDM. This way it won't try to covert it during the migration.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tgradig
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When migrating with an RDM attached, VC will try to convert the RDM to vmfs. I'm sure your running out of space. What we do it un-attach the RDM from the guest, migration the virtual disk over to the new LUN and re-attach the RDM. This way it won't try to covert it during the migration.

0 Kudos
Cloneranger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This is what I do also,

Just remove your RDM, and perfom your migration.

Personally when I relocate a VM, I remove the RDM, then perform a 'clone' rather then a migrate,

I like to see my server happy and running in its new location before I delete the old one.

indrajeets
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try with this; please find the attached document, hope this would help you.