VMware Cloud Community
BJorgenson
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate Storage Plugin and No Space

I've been using the Migrate Storage plugin in VMWare Infrastructure Client successfully for a while now. I am trying to move a VM with 2 hard disks totalling 40GB to a datastore that has 198GB of free space. When I attempt to perform the migration, it says there is insufficient disk space on the datastore. Can't figure this one out.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

try restart agents of host to refresh this information. its interessant restart a service of vcenter too to test.

Commands to run in host ESX

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vpxa-vmware restart

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How much space is available on the source side? I forget the exact mechanism of what happens in an svmotion, but it uses space on the source side. I think that changes in vSphere. If you can get a window to shut down the VM, you can cold migrate it.

BJorgenson
Contributor
Contributor

On the source side, I have 1.4GB free on a 10GB system partition, another parition has 90% free space. I would think this would be enough. I may have to shut it down and try to migrate offline. Might be a good weekend project.

0 Kudos
BJorgenson
Contributor
Contributor

I did try a restart option that you mentioned and this did not correct the problem.

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sorry, just like to confirm something. Are these free space figures you provided inside the VM or VMFS datastore free space?

If the later, then as somebody else has said you require space on the source datastore as a snapshot is created on the VM in order to do the copy and then deltas are applied to the target datastore to complete the storage vMotion.

Kind regards,

Glen

0 Kudos