VMware Cloud Community
Dandan712
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Microsoft just relaesed vmtion like features for free with Hyper-V

Look at that information released yesterday: Microsoft is just begining the fight with vmware.

To my mind , MS will release time after time all advanced features ( HA, DRS like etc ) for free....

http://www.virtualization.info/2008/09/hyper-v-included-in-windows-server-2008.html?hl

Hyper-V included in Windows Server 2008 R2 will have live migration

Monday, September 08, 2008 | 10 Comments | addthis

As well known, the first version of Hyper-V lacks a key capability for many (all?) enterprise customers: the virtual machines live migration.

In an attempt to address the complains from its user base and the critics from VMware, Microsoft announced today that the next version of its hypervisor, included with Windows Server 2008 R2, will have that feature.

The new version of the OS anyway is expected no earlier than 2010 according to ZDNet.

Microsoft will show this feature today during its launch webcast at 9am PDT.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Read the 2nd part of the link below:

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_postpones_live_VM_migration_for_HyperV_two_more_years/1220...

A quote from it "The spokesperson then added that it may also be undesirable for data centers, and even a potential obstacle to a "high availability strategy."" This doesnt sound like anything anywhere near to VMotion, as many of us are using that in our datacenters

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
Dandan712
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do not understand this article that way...

Here is the full article to make everybody better understand...

In a dramatic reversal of Microsoft's apparent stance not even 24 hours ago, when it demonstrated its future live virtual machine migration feature for the first time while announcing a delay in its implementation until 2010, a Microsoft spokesperson told BetaNews this afternoon that the live migration feature may be required by only a small subset of customers. The spokesperson then added that it may also be undesirable for data centers, and even a potential obstacle to a "high availability strategy."

"Live migration is a useful technique for load balancing servers, and when used in conjunction with a high availability service to keep applications and services continuously running when something goes wrong," the spokesperson told BetaNews. "We've found that the early adopter customers of live migration use it on a very limited set of servers."

The spokesperson went on to reference German printing press manufacturer Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG, which had been a VMware customer until it became an early adopter of some competitive Microsoft products, including Hyper-V. As Microsoft's spokesperson told us, "Heidelberg uses VMware's live migration feature for high availability on about 10 servers, and they have more than 400 physical servers. For them and most other businesses using server virtualization to consolidate servers, live migration isn't a required technology.

"If you're virtualizing today without high availability then you should re-evaluate that strategy," the spokesperson continued. "Virtualization and high availability go hand-in-hand. Windows Server 2008 Enterprise and Datacenter editions provide Hyper-V and integrated Failover Clustering at no additional charge. In the case of unplanned downtime, VMware ESX Server can't live migrate because there is no warning. Instead you must have VMware HA configured and the best it can do is restart the affected virtual machines on other nodes, which is the same as what is provided with Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V and integrated Failover Clustering."

0 Kudos
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Aye I can see where it is confusing and I don't fully understand it either as the spokesperson seems to contradict themselves. The bit that I was quoting and was worrying, is the end of the first paragraph

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
emmar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

FYI I was at a TechNet Virutalisation event yesterday and the MS guys were open that the current Hyper-V does not have an equivalent VMotion feature. But that they didnt believe that VMotion was that important to customers, and that in their experiences customers hardly used it. Also they said that using either the VMotion or Hyper-V Quick Migration feature (server is paused, state saved and then restarted on another host) had the same impact in terms of your processes, referring to the fact that you would need to schedule the migration, change control etc. I'm not sure what everyone elses experiences are but when doing a VMotion do you all write a doc about the pros and cons, backout plan etc first Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Kevin_Hamilton
Contributor
Contributor

Funny that, I have a colleague who is a very good engineer but can't see beyond Microsoft and he keeps harping on about docs and press releases from Microsoft stating how customers won't allow VMotion to happen in core hours amongst other things so they will be taking the Virtualisation market from VMware.. I support a number of customers with VMware and I dont have to raise a change control to VMotion servers about to allow me to manage the resources better for any of them. I enjoy the banter with him but on a more serious note does any of the rest of you actually have issues where you can't use the VMotion functionality without full Change Control

0 Kudos
Dandan712
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As far as I'm concerned, no. If I had to write a change doc each time I want to Vmotion a VM, I would sped more time writing docs than the vmotion process in itself... but I understand that it may be the case in huge companies, where IT is far more controlled than in little companies or business

0 Kudos
NorbK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Microsoft's file system limitations is a huge hurdle to overcome for live migrations. I believe live migration is supposed to be with 2008 R2 which the release schedule shows for 2010. If this is going to go like WinFS, I wouldn't be banking money on its arrival anytime soon...
epping
Expert
Expert

i work in a very regulated environment - no change control to do a vmotion, why would u it is tranparent to the OS and therefore transparent to the application

0 Kudos
brad_ault
Contributor
Contributor

Our environment is a good size and I am able to VMotion with out change control. I would spend all day documenting.

I am confused that MS would say most customers dont want the ability to do live migrations. We just purchased 8 HP blades and 2 enclosures (4 blades in each enclosure) just for the fact to be able to leverage technologies like VMotion, HA, and DRS.

Some time MS is just too confusing!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I am confused that MS would say most customers dont want the ability to do live migrations.

What they mean is that customers don't want the ability to do this until MS supports the feature - then it is a must have feature. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Dandan712
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Right.

We should be prepare for a lot of communications from microsoft in the coming months about virtualization, trying to influence the market and make talk about them in that space, even for saying basic things

0 Kudos