VMware Cloud Community
AdamSnow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Microsoft clustering broken after upgrade to 3.5 Update 2

Hello,

We've been using Microsoft clustering under 3.5 Update 1 with no issues. We recently upgraded to 3.5 Update 2, and now it no longer works. The release notes mention that you need to make a VI client change, as well as edit a file on each ESX server as well. Unfortunately, the instructions they give you for editing the file are incorrect, which is what I suspect is the problem.

The release notes are here: http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vi3_esx3i_i_35u2_vc25u2_rel_notes.html

Look at the section called: " Virtual Machines Cannot Share a Raw LUN By Using Two Different RDM Files Unless RDM Filters Are Turned Off"

The instructions for editing config.xml are wrong. If I place that section as it is shown in the config.xml and restart mgmt-vmware, then VirtualCenter loses connectivity to the host. I suspect that is because the <plugins> section is defined twice. so then I tried just adding the <solo> sections, and also just the <rdmfilter> sections. Neither of those work as well.

Has anyone here made this work correctly?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bradley4681
Expert
Expert

Did you also make the change in the VI client? This instructions say to make a change in the VI Client advanced settings.

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
AdamSnow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I made the change in VI client. The change appears to just allow you to see the previously mounted RDMs when you try to add them to a second VM. Clustering in VMWare has always been a cluster$%&^, but this new issue takes the cake. Why they would break clustering by default, and then include the wrong instructions for fixing it, is beyond me.

0 Kudos