VMware Cloud Community
mcwill
Expert
Expert

Memory Checker warnings in hostd.log

\[2008-04-18 09:43:24.241 'Memory checker' 78818224 warning] Current value 164768 exceeds soft limit 122880.

\[2008-04-18 09:43:54.252 'Memory checker' 19962800 warning] Current value 164768 exceeds soft limit 122880.

\[2008-04-18 09:44:24.263 'Memory checker' 78818224 warning] Current value 164768 exceeds soft limit 122880.

Something is filling hostd.log with the above entry on our host every 30 seconds - should I be worried?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
fabian_de1
Contributor
Contributor

Increasing memory didn't change soft nor hard limits. Why does hostd process needs more and more memory?

0 Kudos
Byron_Zhao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Joerg. I could do the change on config.xml file, but I don't quite get the idea behind it. What is the soft and hard limit for? for each process?

BZ

0 Kudos
BDorroh
Contributor
Contributor

When a host exceeds the soft limit, could that cause the host to suddenly reboot? I had one of my hosts reboot on it's own this afternoon, and about the only thing i see are these errors in the log....

0 Kudos
max2479
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

esx 3.5 U2 has a bug that has to do with memory leak. Confirmed with VMware support. Upgrade to esx3.5 u4 should take care of the issue

if you configure the alarm you might also see this because hostd is restarting

Alarm

Target: esx.domain.com

Old Status: Green

New Status: Red

Current value:

Host connection state - (State = Not responding)

Alarm: Host connection state

()

Description:

Alarm Host connection state on esx changed from Green to Red

> if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers <

> if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers <
0 Kudos
AndrewSt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks! Even though we are patched up to 163429, we are still seeing this with our consoles set to 600mb of memory.

You fix worked perfectly.

-

-Andrew Stueve

-Remember, if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points

----------------------- -Andrew Stueve -Remember, if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos