VMware Cloud Community
wkwicker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

MemMap: 4027: out of memory Error

Hello,

I recently upgraded a Dell 1955 from ESX 3.0.2 to 3.5 update3 with all the patches and saw this on the console and in the /var/log/vmkwarning log about 20 hours after the upgrade. It seems to be running fine and has not happened since. I see several posts relating to MemMap but none specific to "out of memory" I have 3 other upgraded servers just like this one (16GB, 2x 2.66Ghz Quad core) that don't have the error. Any ideas on what the issue may be?

Dec 22 23:09:29 vm4 vmkernel: 3:08:45:37.247 cpu1:1142)ALERT: MemMap: 4027: out of memory

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Vanayr1
Contributor
Contributor

I just did an install of 3.5u3 as well and came up with the same error. Immediately following was a reconfigure of resource allocations, and I haven't seen the error since.

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
wkwicker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For another reason, I increased the service console memory to 600 MB since I have some 3rd party applications running in the console. I don't know if it helped or not but the error has not returned. Of course it never showed up on my other servers either which are identical.

0 Kudos
Rennes
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I had quite the same error here, except that it it was a 4028 error :

vmkernel.2:Apr 30 11:39:33 gforge2 vmkernel: 0:00:17:11.107 cpu7:1151)ALERT: MemMap: 4028: out of memory

vmkernel:May 29 17:39:28 gforge2 vmkernel: 0:00:52:29.985 cpu4:1180)ALERT: MemMap: 4028: out of memory

It was showing until this morning on the console, and it disappeared after a reboot.

EDIT : I posted a support request after this message, I got called back par a VMware support guy, who advised me to raise the memory allocated to the console.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Um... I seem to recall this has nothing to do with memory at all, but rather the console switch has no IP address...

Maybe someone can confirm this, I know it sounds kooky, but there is a strange error that shows when there is no IP, and I think this is it....

0 Kudos
Damian_Davis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just had my first experience of this error - on a HP DL380 server which has a minimum service console memory allocation and a high workload. interestingly HP SIM had been installed that morning ......

Should i jump to the obvious conclusion?

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Not sure if it's memory related but seems like resolved already but for suggestion that you should raise service console memory to 800MB for better performance especially you have 3rd party agents running which we do not recommend to load anything to service console except minor SNMP agent.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos