VMware Cloud Community
Nicolas_de_Toth
Contributor
Contributor

Maximum file size

Hello everybody,

It seems that there's a mistake into vmware documentation about maximum file size.

Into SAN System Design and Deployment Guide doc ( http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_san_design_deploy.pdf ), we can read : "The limits of VMFS-3 are (...) Maximum file size: 768GB"

but, into Configuration Maximum Guidelines ( http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_config_max.pdf ), we can read : "VMFS-3 (...) File size (block size=8MB) : 2TB".

So, what's wrong, what's true ?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mike81
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
Nicolas_de_Toth
Contributor
Contributor

thx Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am confused!!

Trying to study for the VCP which I sit on Monday and I have three different answers from VMware Technical resources documentation on what the maximum file size should be amongst other things

When adding storage and selecting the block size the highest it shows is 2TB so I guess this would be the correct answer per vmfs volume, right?

0 Kudos
GlenMarquis2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maximum LUN size is 2TB no matter the blocksize.

Maxumum vmdk size depends on blocksizes:

1MB blocksize gives 256Gb, 8MB gives 2048Gb/2Tb vmdks.

0 Kudos
GlenMarquis2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Max theoretical VMFS size is 64Tb which is done by using the maximum of 32 (2TB LUNs) extents.

0 Kudos
Ajay_Nabh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Glen

I have added 800GB LUN to esx 3.5 but I used 1MB block size. is it all right to do this way. Will it give me any issues in the future?? will I be able to use all of the space on this LUN or only 256GB. Reason why I did it was I am using IBM DS400 and If I use 2 MB block size on LUN then I can create VM on this LUN. I found out this is a issue with DS400.

Please help

Thanks

Ajay

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

you will be able to use all 800 GB but the maximum virtual disk size you will be able to create is 256 GB

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Ajay_Nabh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

THanks Weinstein5, not so good news, i need to find workaround.

Thanks again

Ajay Nabh

0 Kudos