VMware Cloud Community
gtg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Maximum Supported LUN Size

What's the biggest supported LUN size on ESX 3 ?

I initially created a 5TB LUN - but ESX failed to see that. Once I shrank it down to 1TB, ESX saw it fine.

Does ESX suffer from the MS-DOS 2TB partition size limit ?

Thanks,

GTG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ErMaC1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The block size does not change how large a volume you can have. The block size changes how large a file[/b] you can have in that volume.

ESX only supports LUNs of 2TB. If you make a LUN greater than 2TB, as you've seen, you will not be able to format it or even see it with ESX.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is what you need:

It does depend on your block size.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_config_max.pdf

gtg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That implies that my 5TB LUN should have been seen without any problems as ESX3 supports a tad under 16TB at a worst case.

0 Kudos
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

A LUN can be any size but its the size of your VMFS volumes that sit on that LUN that has the limits. So you could have a 4TB LUN and create 2 x 2TB VMFS volumes on it (though its more common to create 2 x 2TB LUNs and fill each LUN with a single VMFS volume).

Then the VMFS volume has files on it which again have limits. The maximum file size on VMFS3 is 2TB.

Therefore, if you had shrank your VMFS volume down to 2TB instead of 1TB then technically ESX would be able to see it.

You can also have extents too which span multiple VMFS volumes up to 64TB (though this is dependent on your block size as mentioned already).

0 Kudos
ErMaC1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The block size does not change how large a volume you can have. The block size changes how large a file[/b] you can have in that volume.

ESX only supports LUNs of 2TB. If you make a LUN greater than 2TB, as you've seen, you will not be able to format it or even see it with ESX.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The maximum size LUN an ESX server can 'see' is 2TB, this goes for VMFS or RDM. You can make VMFS volumes larger by adding multiple 2TB LUNs together with extents, but the maximum file size on that VMFS volume is still 2TB.

0 Kudos
gtg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX only supports LUNs of 2TB. If you make a LUN

greater than 2TB, as you've seen, you will not be

able to format it or even see it with ESX.

I never thought I'd see the day when I complained that I can only have a 2TB partition...

GTG

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Man, talk about quick posters.

Sorry I should have said 2TB before.

I nipped away from my desk for a minute and everyone's here.

0 Kudos
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

DOH - and I just realised I contradicted myself in my own post!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos