VMware Cloud Community
paradoxxaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Machines wont migrate off host

So this is going to seem pretty broad, but I have a 3 node cluster. One of the nodes was throwing HA errors all over the place last week. I was able to finesse it enough (restarting services etc) to get it running. There are about 12 VM's on it.

Now, whenever I try to migrate a machine off, it just hangs at 10%, never moves.. ulitimately i think it errors with a time out...

Any ideas? One node is on update 4, the others, including this one, arent even on update 4, thats where I am trying to get. This Friday is maintenance, so I need to get all off so I can update. How the *&% am I going to get these machines off without just killing the hosts and letting HA take over? if it even will.

Thanks guys..

0 Kudos
48 Replies
paradoxxaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great ideas... All the DNS is correct, I will double and triple check though. I think thats were I will have to go, kill it, bring up the VM's on the other 2 hosts and update it to 4, if that doesnt work, rebuild it entirely

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

that was one of my suggestions yesterday.... Power off one of the VM's, remove it from inventory, browse the datastore and "add to inventory". This will re-register the guest. My concern was the weird error you were getting while trying to vmotion. I think if you remove a guest and add it back to inventory you may be able to vmotion that guest successfully.

0 Kudos
paradoxxaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Every VM on these hosts is tied to a customers production environment. I have VERY little room to power off VM's - it will all have to be scheduled.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I understand.... Were you able to get an SR filed?

0 Kudos
beagle_jbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think it's a problem with the VM's, but rather the host. I wouldn't bother removing the VM's from inventory. I may remove the host from the cluster and re-add it. First I would try the reconfigure for HA option.

I would ask you if the VMs are in snapshot mode... but you'd be getting different errors if that was the case. Snapshot'd VM's of course cannot be VMotioned.

0 Kudos
paradoxxaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Obviously its a host issue. The problem is getting the VM's off of it so I can update it. VM's wont vmotion, or it takes forever.

Troy:

Waiting on VMWARE account info so I can place a SR.

0 Kudos
beagle_jbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tripwire has a free tool called OpsCheck that checks your configuration for vmotion and, in theory, if there were any glaring issues it would tell you what they were.

You can get it at http://www.vwire.com/free-tools/

It's something to try if you are bored while you wait to hear back from VMWare.

Brad

0 Kudos
paradoxxaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

cool tool! Look likes it does a surface check as VC would check if there are any devices attached that would prohibit vmotion... but digging deep into the linux OS and seeing why there are other errors isnt there.. thanks though! Will play with it a bit.

0 Kudos
paradoxxaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Had to shut down vm's one by one and migrate off the shitty server. updated to 4, all is well.

0 Kudos